(This Policy Directive Replaces PD #07-02-OPE)
This policy directive had been revised to reflect the following changes:
• Section 413 of the Social Services Law was amended effective October 14, 2007, to require that “social service workers”, in their professional or official capacity, are mandated reporters.
• Mandated reporters are required to report child abuse, maltreatment, or neglect when presented with reasonable cause to suspect such, or while acting as a representative of the Agency any person comes before them and states from personal knowledge facts, conditions, or circumstances which, if correct, would mean that a child has been abused or maltreated.
• FIA’s policy is to consider all staff, while acting in their professional or official capacity as a representative of the Agency, as mandated reporters.
• As mandated reporters, all staff are required to immediately contact the New York State Child Abuse and Maltreatment Register (SCR) by phone at (800) 635-1522 to make a verbal report, before notifying his/her Supervisor and, within 48 hours, follow it up with a written report by completing and submitting the Report of Suspected Child Abuse or Maltreatment Form LDSS-2221-A).
• In instances where multiple mandated reporters from the same location suspect child abuse or maltreatment regarding the same incident or circumstance, individual staff must personally make the phone call to the SCR. However, in order to avoid multiple written reports, the Director’s designee must complete one cumulative written Report of Suspected Child Abuse or Maltreatment Form (LDSS-2221-A), not each individual reporter.
• Form LDSS-2221-A (9/2007) has been revised.