This Policy Bulletin Replaces PB #07-76-OPE and revises the resource Limit/Exemption Desk Guide to:
* expand the lump sum payment exemption criteria
* indicate that the maximum allowable exemption amount of liquid cash assistance received from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is capped at $1400.
The PA lump sum exemption criteria has been expanded to include the following:
The period of ineligibility can be shortened if the lump sum is used;
* to repay the agency for past assistance
* as a resource set aside. The maximum for individual or family amount is $2,000 and $3,000 for an individual or family with a household member age 60 years or older
* to pay medical expenses that would have been covered by Medicaid
* to meet the household’s increased standard of need The period of ineligibility can also be shortened if the family can verify that the lump sum became unavailable to the family for reasons beyond their control.