This file contains the course outline and materials distributed at the February 2, 2011 CLE course on the Utilization of Fair Hearing Outcome Data. The materials include:
• a PowerPoint presentation on the history and legal foundation of the Office of Administrative Hearings and on the local agency's role in the Fair Hearing Process,
• a presentation of Fair Hearing statistics through the use of graphs and tables, including
- the number of Fair Hearing issues requested, held and decided,
- the ten issues for which Fair Hearings are most frequently requested in New York City and in the rest of the state for each of the following programs: Public Assistance, Medical Assistance (Medicaid) and Food Stamps.
• the following reference materials:
- The United States Supreme Court decision in Goldberg v Kelly, 397 U.S. 254 (1970)
- The Court of Appeals decision in Almenares v Wyman, 453 F.2d 1075 (2d Cir. 1971)
- Social Services Law § 22
- 18 NYCRR Part 358
- Governor Mario Cuomo's Executive Order No. 131.