The Geneva office of Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® (LawNY®) has an immediate opening for an Administrator. LawNY is a not-for-profit law firm that works to eliminate barriers to justice by providing civil legal services to low-income clients in a fourteen-county region in the Finger Lakes and western New York State. The Geneva office serves five counties (Livingston, Ontario, Seneca, Wayne and Yates) and provides representation primarily in the areas of housing, family law, government benefits, elder law, civil rights and consumer law. We work to achieve individual and systemic change through litigation, administrative advocacy, and partnership with community organizations. Our 30-member Geneva staff includes attorneys, paralegals, and a legal support team who work closely across areas of specialization to bring a holistic approach to addressing law-related issues affecting our clients and communities.
The Administrator will work collaboratively with the Managing Attorney and administrative team and will report to a Co-Administrator to ensure the day-to-day functioning of the office, to include, but not limited to:
- Develop future plans and projects to expand and support the work being done in the service area;
- Assist with grants management and reporting (utilizing case management system to extract and communicate data to funders, as well as some narrative reporting);
- Participate on Interview Panels
- Onboard and organize training for new staff members/AmeriCorps members/Interns;
- Ensure coverage for and assist with various intake and reception tasks;
- Examine and make office processes more efficient, including using the case management system and drafting/updating written procedures to improve and maximize client services, staff efficiency and resources;
- Maintaining case files within the purview of the Administrator;
- Assist with fiscal responsibilities and compliance with LawNY and standard fiscal procedures such as purchasing, bank/petty cash reconciliation, and inventory controls;
- Play an active role in LawNY workgroups, staff meetings, and trainings
- Assist staff as needed;
- Scheduling meetings with LawNY staff and/or funders;
- Make travel arrangements for staff;
- Oversight of building maintenance issues;
- Such other duties as directed by the Managing Attorney or Supervisor;
- Telecommuting is not permitted for this position as on-site Administrator is required to provide maximum benefit to the staff and public.
- Bachelor's degree, Associate’s degree, and/or relevant work experience, is required.
- Applicants must have a demonstrated commitment to helping poor and disadvantaged people overcome institutional barriers to legal access.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and writing skills.
- Experience with data management systems and use of Google Workspace and Microsoft Suite.
- *must be able to lift 50lbs*
- Familiarity with the office service area;
- Experience with grant administration, reporting, and budgeting;
- Prior experience with low-income and other oppressed communities and clients.
- Lived experience with our client communities is highly desired.
- Strong problem-solving abilities, time management, and organizational skills.
- Excellent use of Google Workspace, Word, and Excel; database programs a plus.
- Proficiency in Spanish is an advantage but is not required.
- Passion for social justice and commitment to the mission of LawNY.
- Basic understanding of legal processes and terminology
Salary and Benefits: Salary is dependent on experience and based on a pay scale with annual increments. The salary for an Administrator who is credited with five years of experience is $41,945. The initial salary will increase annually based upon LawNY’s salary scale. LawNY provides an excellent health insurance, disability and employee benefits package.
To Apply: Applicants should submit a resume and three references through LawNY’s BambooHR platform here. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The letter of interest can be directed to Matthew Davis, Managing Attorney, and should highlight the applicant's qualifications specific to this position.
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® (LawNY) is an equal opportunity employer. LawNY encourages applications from diverse candidates. LawNY welcomes applications regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or any other consideration protected by law. This position is considered non-exempt pursuant to the Fair Labor Standards Act.