The Erie County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project (VLP) is seeking a full-time Staff Attorney to join its Immigration Program in their Batavia, NY office. This office handles work under a grant from the NYS Office of New Americans at the Buffalo Federal Detention Facility in Batavia. This is a public defender model program where we represent all low-income detained people that are facing deportation and are not otherwise represented.
• Handle individual caseload and represent low-income immigrants subject to removal in matters such as habeas petitions before the U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York and petitions for review before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. The selected applicant may also handle matters before DOJ-EOIR.
• Work collaboratively with paralegals and social workers and act as an additional resource Grant/data reporting
• Special projects/community outreach and education as directed
• Other duties may be assigned
Requirements/Skills - Required:
• Admitted to practice in good standing before the U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
• Admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals of the Second Circuit or ability to gain admission within two months of commencing employment
• Two years' experience in litigation, preferably in immigration removal proceedings or related federal litigation
• Organizational skills to juggle many cases efficiently while also being able to track and report required data about the work in a timely and accurate manner
• Ability to work cooperatively with fellow staff and supervisors while also being able to work independently
• The means and willingness to travel (a driver’s license and access to a vehicle are required)
• Strong oral and written advocacy skills
• Legal research software proficiency
• The desire to want a career in litigation defending low-income immigrants
• VLP is a paperless office; Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 (SharePoint, Word, Excel, Outlook) and case management systems such as LegalServer is required. Requirements/Skills – Preferred:
• Fluency in Spanish or French
TO APPLY: Please send a resume, a cover letter clearly explaining your interest and qualifications. Include contact information for 3 references and send your materials to: Kimberly Lewis, HR Manager, ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Salary ranges from $74,680.16 to $92,106.36 based on years of relevant work experience.
• Employer paid benefits including fully paid health insurance premiums, a Health Reimbursement Arrangement account, long-term disability insurance, life/AD&D insurance, Pension contributions, and an Employee Assistance Program
• Other Benefits available through pre-tax employee contributions: Dental insurance, FSA, Dependent Care FSA, transportation account, 403b plan • Eligibility for public service loan forgiveness
• Dedication to diversity and inclusion
• A respectful work environment with a true Work/Life balance:
• 14 paid holidays
• Accrue 11 vacation days and 2 personal days in year 1
• Accrue 15 vacation days and 4 personal days in year 2 (vacation caps at 23 days starting in year 6)
• Accrue 10 sick days each year
• 1 hour paid lunch if working more than 4.5 hours each day
• Flexible schedules
• Ability to work remotely up to 2 days per week (after the successful completion of the 3-month introductory period)
• Discourages weekend work, encourages utilizing PTO
VLP is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply. Employer recruits without regard to age, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, immigration or citizenship status, pregnancy-related condition, predisposing genetic characteristics, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital and familial status, domestic violence victim status, disability, military status, or protected veteran status.
For information on VLP, see www.ecbavlp.com