This position will work out of our Batavia, NY office with the ability to work a hybrid remote/in-office schedule after the successful completion of the 3-month introductory period. Office culture values work/life balance with reasonable working hours and discourages weekend work. Generous PTO and benefits.
• handle individual caseload and represent clients before DOJ-EOIR, DHS, and BIA defending detained low-income immigrants who are subject to removal for a variety of reasons including criminal convictions, unlawful entry and visa overstays
• work collaboratively with Paralegals and Social Workers and act as an additional resource to them
• grant/data reporting
• special projects/community outreach and education as directed
• Local travel to and from the Buffalo Federal Detention Facility is required as well as occasional trips to the Buffalo office. Valid driver’s license and regular access to a reliable vehicle are required.
• other duties may be assigned
Requirements/Skills - Required:
• admitted to practice law (or pending bar admission)
• organizational skills to juggle many cases efficiently while also being able to track and report required data about the work in a timely and accurate manner
• ability to work cooperatively with fellow staff and supervisors while also being able to work independently
• strong oral and written advocacy skills
• legal research software proficiency
• the desire to want a career in litigation defending detained low-income immigrants
Requirements/Skills – Preferred (not required):
• fluency in Spanish or French
• one year experience in litigation, preferably in immigration removal proceedings Those without previous experience but possessing the desire and/or language skills are encouraged to apply.
TO APPLY: Please send a resume, a cover letter clearly explaining your interest and qualifications. Include contact information for 3 references and send your materials to: Kimberly Lewis, HR Manager, ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as received.
- Salary range $69,725 - $92,106.36 based on years of relevant work experience
- Employer paid benefits including fully paid health insurance premiums, a Health Reimbursement Arrangement account, long-term disability insurance, life/AD&D insurance, Pension contributions, and an Employee Assistance Program
- Other Benefits available through pre-tax employee contributions: Dental insurance, FSA, Dependent Care FSA, transportation account, 403b plan
- Eligibility for public service loan forgiveness
- A respectful work environment with a true Work/Life balance:
- 14 paid holidays o Accrue 11 vacation days and 2 personal days in year 1 o Accrue 15 vacation days and 4 personal days in year 2 (vacation caps at 23 days starting in year 6) Accrue 10 sick days each year
- 1 hour paid lunch if working more than 4.5 hours each day
- flexible schedules
- ability to work remotely up to 2 days per week (after the successful completion of the 3-month introductory period)
- discourages weekend work, encourages utilizing PTO
- dedication to diversity and inclusion
DISCLAIMER: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship. The company is an Equal Opportunity Employer, drug free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.