Legal Aid Society of Mid-New York, Inc. (LASMNY)
Law Graduates | Multiple Listings & Locations
LASMNY is a non-profit public interest law firm. We provide free legal information, advice and representation to people who are unable to afford a lawyer. The program area includes (13) counties: Broome, Chenango, Cayuga, Cortland, Delaware, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Madison, Oneida, Onondaga, Oswego and Otsego. In addition, our Farmworker Law Project services the entire New York State out of our New Paltz Office.
Law Graduates will work under the supervision of a Managing Attorney to provide direct and comprehensive services to eligible clients in civil legal matters as assigned. Will verify eligibility information in accordance with our Case Management Policy and priorities for service. Conduct legal research; draft pleadings, legal memoranda, advocacy letters, and other legal papers. Participate in staff and case acceptance meetings and program-wide workgroups. Other duties as assigned. Demonstrates an understanding and commitment to LASMNY’s mission and value of justice.
Essential Job Functions
- Effectively and efficiently communicate with clients/applicants for services over the phone or in-person;
- Interview clients competently and objectively;
- Prepare and file briefs, motions, and other necessary judicial pleadings;
- Independently manage a caseload, including fully litigating assigned cases, when appropriate;
- Accurately and timely record billable time and case notes in our case management system;
- Work professionally and collaboratively with colleagues, judges, opposing counsel, court personnel, community members, etc.;
- Show commitment to professional growth in diverse areas of law;
- Engage in outreach and community education;
- Attend and participate in meetings and trainings as requested;
- Comply with all Legal Services Corporation (LSC) and LASMNY policies, procedures, and grant-based reporting requirements;
- Perform reasonable and related duties as assigned by a managing attorney or direct supervisor.
For all listings, the following is required
A commitment to professional growth, excellent organizational, problem solving and interpersonal skills, enthusiasm for direct client services and commitment to social justice required. Other qualifying factors include: the nature and extent of prior legal experience, knowledge and understanding of the legal problems and needs of the poor, prior experience in the client community or in other programs to aid the poor, ability to communicate with persons in the client community; and cultural similarity with the client community. Bilingual or multilingual a plus.
- Law degree from an accredited law school;
- Seek admission to (NYS) Bar;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office or related software and computerized legal research;
- Bilingual or multilingual a plus.
An employment offer is contingent on you passing the New York State (NYS) Bar. Before admission to the NYS Bar, individuals may be able to practice or appear in court as a law graduate without being admitted pursuant to the New York Judiciary Law, Sections 478 and 484. Would go to court with a licensed attorney. Upon admission to the NYS Bar, the individual shall be classified as a staff attorney, Step 0-1 with a starting salary of $60,000, upon the completion date of the swearing in ceremony.
Failure of a law graduate to be admitted to the NYS Bar within eighteen (18) months of date of hire, may or may not, result in loss of employment with LASMNY. There is no reimbursement for costs associated with taking the NYS bar examination for this process.
LAW GRADUATE - Foreclosure
Locations - Binghamton | Utica
LAW GRADUATE - Disability Advocacy Program (DAP)
Location – Utica
LAW GRADUATE - Homeowner Protection Program (HOPP)
Location – Syracuse
LAW GRADUATE - Domestic Violence Services
Locations – Utica | Oswego | Oneonta
LAW GRADUATE - Eviction Defense Program (ERAP)
Location – Utica
LASMNY offers a generous benefit package!
Most benefits available as of date of hire. Medical, Vision, Dental, Basic/Voluntary Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Flexible Savings Accounts, 403(b), SEP/IRA, Mileage Reimbursement, Training, CLE Registration Fees, Attorney Registration Fee, Local & NYS Bar Dues, Vacation, Sick, Personal, Parental Leave, Bereavement Leave, Jury Duty, Bar Exam Leave, EAP, Moving Expenses, Parking, Loan Repayment, Relocation Assistance and (14) Holidays.
Salary Estimated salary range is $58,000 - $59,000.
We encourage interested qualified applicants to apply for this position by providing a cover letter, resume, writing sample and contact information, with email addresses, for three (3) professional references at jobs@LASMNY.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer
Visit us at www.lasmny.org