Center for Elder Law & Justice (CELJ) is a civil legal services organization fighting for justice, primarily for low-income older adults, in 10 counties in Western New York. Our attorneys stop illegal evictions, save clients homes from foreclosure, put a stop to elder domestic violence, fight for public benefits, work with our local immigrant & refugee populations, and represent grandparents and other kinship care relatives in custody and neglect petitions in family court. We also advocate for systems-wide policy changes, commenting frequently on changes to regulations and working with local elected leaders on legislation that will impact the poor and vulnerable older adults in our area. We believe that independence and dignity are the hallmarks of justice.
Reporting to the Supervising Attorney, the Attorney will be responsible for assisting their department to ensure that the firm represents clients in a holistic manner to achieve clients’ goals through aggressive advocacy, including litigation. The Attorney will work closely with the paralegals and support staff to develop and implement the firm’s mission and goals. This exciting role will be heavy on court appearances. The ideal candidate will be a skillful attorney who can excel in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, where engaging with clients daily is a necessity. The attorney in this role will be working on both foreclosure prevention and eviction cases.
CELJ’s Foreclosure Prevention Project (FPP) helps homeowners who are in danger of losing their home due to mortgage foreclosure. Attorneys and paralegals in this unit can assist clients with understanding their options, responding to legal documents and provide representation in court.
- Manage caseload of housing, landlord/tenant cases in Erie, Niagara, Orleans, Genesee, and Wyoming counties
- Weekly court appearances including, trials, pretrial conferences, reviews, and participation in Buffalo’s attorney of the morning program
- Draft court documents such as petitions, orders, stipulated agreements, motions, affidavits and subpoenas
- Advocacy outside of the courtroom, such as advocating for tenants living in substandard conditions, or facing other landlord/tenant issues.
- Maintain ongoing relationship with other attorneys designated to respective cases
- Provide training, community outreach, and education to individuals and local community-based organization, and other advocates
- Coordinate and collaborate with other groups and organizations
- Represent the civil practice and legal aid in the community
- Promote the work of the office and civil practice
- Negotiate with lenders on behalf of homeowners
- Manage small contracts with rural communities
- Maintain timely and consistent client contact
- Travel is required as the attorney will be representing clients in Niagara, Orleans, Genesee, and Wyoming counties
- In-home client visits, as needed
- Participate in outreach and education events within the community
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Juris Doctor (JD) Degree
- Admitted to practice law in the State of NY
- Court experience preferred
- Must enjoy a fast paced environment
- Able to handle multiple tasks
- Ability to work independently as well as within a group
- Communication and interpersonal skills required
- Public speaking (trainings)
- Able to identify and evaluate legal issues
- Commitment to communities we serve
- Travel amongst counties, required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Analytical abilities and problem-solving skills
CELJ offers a competitive benefits and compensation package, including:
- 100% employer paid health insurance with a significant deductible deposit in the form of an HRA
- 100% employer paid vision and dental insurance
- Employer paid life insurance of $10,000 after 3 months waiting period
- 5% of salary contributed into a 401-K plan after 1 year of service
- Generous vacation and sick time.
- Fourteen holidays a year, plus two half-day holidays
- Summer hours between Memorial Day and Labor Day
- Payment of License and association fees
- Eligible for Federal Loan Forgiveness
- Travel reimbursements
The starting annual salary for a Staff Attorney with zero years of legal experience is $58,914. Union staff are given raises every July.
Send cover letter and resume to Chandler Jones, HR Manager at email@example.com
CELJ is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Employer recruits without regard to sex, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity, and any such candidates are strongly encouraged to apply