HUDSON VALLEY JUSTICE CENTER, Yonkers, NY
Job Description: Housing Attorney (Hybrid, Remote)
Hudson Valley Justice Center (HVJC) is a not-for-profit law firm serving low income immigrants in the Hudson Valley. HVJC handles a broad range of civil legal matters, including housing, immigration, family law, public benefits, disability, consumer, and employment law. HVJC is currently the only organization representing non-citizens in eviction proceedings in Westchester, Orange, Dutchess, Putnam, Sullivan, and Ulster Counties. In addition to individual matters, HVJC handles class actions, participates in community organizing, and fights for legislative change that promotes equal access to justice. The unique racial, cultural, and social perspectives of HVJC’s staff enriches its ability to provide culturally competent services to clients. HVJC fosters an inclusive workplace built upon mutual respect among all staff members.
HVJC has immediate openings for full-time Housing Attorneys serving lower Westchester. These attorneys will represent low-income tenants and families in housing matters. Attorneys will provide direct representation in a broad range of housing matters, including: evictions, illegal lockouts, and habitability/condemnation advocacy for tenant groups.
NOTE: HVJC is currently expanding. This position will be remote for a period of time while work on our new office space in Yonkers is completed. HVJC provides staff with a laptop, VOIP phone application, and all necessary security safeguards for seamless remote work. Personal appearances in various local courts are required. Candidates must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation. Attorneys will be expected to staff the office, with some hybrid hours, once the work on the office is complete.
- Develop individual cases and manage a caseload
- Refer clients to community partners where appropriate, ensuring clients receive holistic services whenever possible
- Litigate matters in city and justice courts (some night court appearances are necessary), including federal court, and appellate practice
- Participate in HVJC’s access to justice initiatives
- Conduct education presentations for the community and HVJC’s community partners
- Follow HVJC policies, grant requirements, and meet the highest professional standards
- Member in good standing, NY Bar. Law graduates pending admission encouraged to apply
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Valid Driver License and access to a vehicle
- Ability to manage a high volume of fast-paced housing cases at varying levels of service
- 2 or more years of legal experience in housing matters or comparable practice area
- Spanish/English Bilingual
- Commitment to public interest work or service to the immigrant community
Salary: Competitive salary with excellent benefits. HVJC makes efforts to provide flexible work schedules to accommodate employees needs as balanced by the needs of the agency. Individuals needing scheduling accommodations are encouraged to apply.
To Apply Please send a Cover Letter, Resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org