Deaf Community Advocate
Full Time - Rochester, New York
Empire Justice Center’s Civil Rights Practice Group is seeking a Deaf Community Advocate to join our growing Language Justice advocacy team.
Empire Justice Center, a statewide not-for-profit law firm, has systems change advocacy approach that focuses on achieving high-impact, lasting improvements by examining client and community experience with the law to identify systemic barriers and then pursuing solutions through training and technical assistance, impact litigation, and policy change.
We are seeking a Deaf Community Advocate to join our Language Justice team within our Civil Rights Practice Group. This position is a one-year temporary appointment. The Deaf Community Advocate will work to ensure meaningful access to services as required under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as well as other federal, state, and local statutes including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. The Deaf Community Advocate will provide technical assistance to organizations throughout Monroe County and maintain and cultivate community partnerships in support of policies and goals.
- Works with Program Manager and Language Justice team to develop and conduct workshops and trainings throughout Monroe County to educate organizations and the public on subjects including Deaf and Hard of Hearing rights, Title VI, ADA, other anti-discrimination laws, communication access, how to work with interpreters, and cultural competency.
- Provides technical assistance to organizations throughout Monroe County.
- Maintains and cultivates community partnerships in support of policies and goals.
- Advocates for systems change by working to change the rules and policies of government agencies, health care systems, and courts.
- Advocates for meaningful access to law enforcement, legal services, courts, health services, and other organizations.
- Advocates at the local and state level for policy initiatives and collaborate with community organizations to support the low-income and marginalized communities that we serve.
- Develops Deaf and Hard of Hearing language access resource list.
- Solicits and evaluates feedback regarding program policies and practices from interpreters and service providers.
- Assists with the planning and execution of meetings for the Language Justice Program.
- Participates in Monroe County Language Access Coalition and Deaf Monroe County Language Access Coalition meetings.
- Assists with completing grant reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bilingual in English and American Sign Language
- Excellent communication skills.
- Immersed in Deaf culture.
- Ability to work successfully with individuals from diverse backgrounds and treat clients with consideration and respect.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrate leadership.
- Interest in and commitment to advocacy for Language Justice for the Limited English Proficiency and/or Deaf and Hard of Hearing community.
- Experience working with low-income families and communities.
- Experience in outreach, community education, organizing, or coalition-building.
Salary and Benefits:
The Deaf Community Advocate position is a one-year temporary appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience and based on our salary scale. Empire Justice Center offers a generous benefits package, including health insurance, life insurance, vacation, holiday, and sick time. We are an organization that supports and encourages a work/life balance.
Empire Justice Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and desires a diverse and inclusive workforce. Empire Justice Center provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age (40 or older), sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This position is available immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply, please email (no phone calls or hard copy mail) a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org