The Erie County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project (VLP) is seeking 1 full-time Spanish speaking immigration paralegal for our law office in Batavia, NY. This office handles work, under the Office of New Americans (ONA) State contract, at the Buffalo Federal Detention Facility in Batavia. Paralegals work with VLP attorneys, social workers and other paralegals to represent detained clients. This is a public defender model program where we represent all detained people that are facing deportation and are not otherwise represented.
This position will work out of our Batavia, NY office with the ability to work a hybrid remote/in-office schedule after the successful completion of the 3-month introductory period. Office culture values work/life balance with reasonable working hours and discourages weekend work. Generous PTO and benefits.
• Perform client intakes and filings, as directed, at the Buffalo Federal Detention Facility
• Assist attorneys with country conditions research and translations as well as preparing motions, compiling hearing evidence, gathering bond evidence, etc.
• Maintain client files
• General office support work – data entry, filing, photocopying, phones, mail, etc.
On the job training. Local travel to and from the Buffalo Federal Detention Facility is required as well as occasional trips to the Buffalo office. Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle are required.
Requirements/Skills - Required:
• Fluency in Spanish
• Ability to collect and manage data
• Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively, with VLP staff and a variety of other partners, including volunteer attorneys, student interns and court staff
• Excellent verbal and written skills in Spanish and English • Ability to multitask and be flexible in an office with high volume that moves at a quick pace
• Must be organized and capable of tracking work carefully for the purpose of grant and contract reporting requirements
• Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
• Knowledge of basic office technology such as mailing, faxing, scanning, and copying
• Sincere ability and desire to work with low-income immigrants and their families • Positive attitude and a willingness to learn immigration law and procedure
Requirements/Skills – Preferred (not required):
• Paralegal degree or certificate
• Prior immigration law experience and/or prior experience as a paralegal
TO APPLY: Please send a resume with a cover letter clearly explaining your interest and qualifications. Include contact information for 3 references and send your materials to: Hollis DeAbreu Davis, Deputy Supervising Attorney, ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be accepting applications until the position is filled.
BENEFITS: Salary depends upon experience. VLP provides excellent benefits including health insurance, long term disability insurance, life insurance, a Simple Employee Pension Plan, and generous leave time. Dental insurance, FSA and Dependent Care FSA, and 403b plans are also available through employee contributions.
VLP is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required unless the individual qualifies for a reasonable accommodation as required under the Americans with Disabilities Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the New York State Human Rights Law and/or guidance from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. VLP may grant requests for reasonable accommodations to this requirement on the basis of disability or sincerely held religious beliefs.
For information on VLP, see www.ecbavlp.com