The Legal Aid Bureau of Buffalo, Inc.
Deputy Executive Director – Criminal Practice
The Legal Aid Bureau of Buffalo seeks to provide access to justice and due process to the most vulnerable
individuals, children and families in the Western New York community through quality legal representation and
The Deputy Executive Director – Criminal Practice assists the Chief Executive Officer with overall
management and leadership of the Bureau.
1. Responsible for the Bureau’s Criminal Practice areas – Criminal Defense Unit and Appeals and Post-
2. Participates in county-wide and state-wide committees and organizations to advance criminal defense
practice and the interests of our clients. Serves on committees that set policy.
3. Detailed knowledge of Indigent Criminal Defense Standards. Ensures that day-to-day procedures and
practices conform to standards.
4. Provides leadership by example, including maintaining a presence in courtrooms and handling cases as
5. Monitors the performance of the Bureau’s Chief Attorneys. Provides regular, timely feedback.
6. Partners with Chief Attorneys to monitor Managing Attorneys’ performance.
7. Actively promotes an atmosphere that will enable employees to work cooperatively and efficiently for the
benefit of clients.
8. In partnership with CEO, conducts regular meetings with Chief Attorneys and Managing Attorneys to
review activities and/or staff concerns.
9. Ensures that supervisors are providing appropriate leadership, supervision, feedback, and communication
10. Makes sure that annual evaluations of all employees are conducted and documented.
11. Responds to client concerns.
12. Communicates with judges and court personnel regarding operations of the Bureau.
13. Ensures that the Bureau’s cases are handled in accordance with ethical standards.
14. Develops and implements policies and procedures for efficient operations of the Bureau.
15. Attends Board of Directors meetings.
16. Participates in the negotiation of collective bargaining agreements.
17. Solicits and identifies new funding sources for Bureau operations.
Employment Standards: Active membership in the New York State Bar; and
1. Ten years of experience as an attorney in the practice of criminal defense and/or appeals; or
2. A combination of training, education and experience that is equivalent to the above employment
standard and that provides the required knowledge and abilities.
3. 5+ years management experience preferred.
4. Computer proficiency, including, but not limited to, word processing skills and computerized legal
5. Reliable transportation and license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State or demonstrated
capacity to meet the transportation needs of the position.
This position is full-time.
Salary Range: $150,000 - $170,000, depending on experience
Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision benefits is available to you and your
dependents. In addition, we offer generous vacation, personal, and sick time. Other benefits available to you
are long-term disability insurance, supplemental term life insurance, parking expense reimbursement plan,
transit plan, a flexible spending account, and a 401(k) retirement plan.
Many of our attorneys apply for New York State Higher Education Services Corporation District Attorney and
Indigent Legal Services Attorney Loan Forgiveness Program and the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness
The Legal Aid Bureau of Buffalo, Inc. is committed to Diversity and Inclusion and is an Equal Opportunity
Employer. Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity
Please send your resume, cover letter, at least three (3) references, and writing sample to
email@example.com or The Legal Aid Bureau of Buffalo, Inc., Attention: Human Resources, 290 Main
Street, Suite 400, Buffalo, NY 14202 by March 3, 2023.
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.