Systemic Change Paralegal – New Windsor, NY
Legal Services of the Hudson Valley
Date Posted: 1/5/2023
Job Type: Systemic Change Paralegal - New Windsor, NY
Schedule Type: Full-Time
For more than 50 years, Legal Services of the Hudson Valley (LSHV) has been providing free, high-quality legal counsel in civil matters when basic human needs are at stake including: eviction and foreclosure prevention, domestic violence, disability, elder law, healthcare, consumer fraud and more. Our services support almost 600,000 poor and low-income families and individuals who cannot afford an attorney in our seven-county service area. With the gap separating those who can and cannot afford legal representation widening each day, we work to ensure that everyone has equal access to justice, regardless of their ability to pay. As the only provider of comprehensive civil legal services in the lower and mid-Hudson Valley (Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Rockland, Orange, Ulster and Sullivan), LSHV is proud to have handled over 12,000 cases impacting nearly 27,500 household members including 10,000 children last year. LSHV is made up of ten offices, and a dedicated and highly skilled staff of attorneys, paralegals and administrative professionals.
Legal Services of the Hudson Valley is dedicated to building a highly skilled workforce that reflects the diverse communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic selves to work. We are committed to racial justice and promoting equity for all, and we continuously review and strengthen our processes and practices to empower our staff, clients and the communities we serve. Respect is a cornerstone of relationships among our staff. Our affinity groups are self-directed and provide a space for members to support one another and their shared vision. We encourage applications from people of all identities.
LSHV has an immediate opening for a full-time paralegal. This position is a support position to the director and attorneys in the systemic change unit. The paralegal will report to the Attorney-in-Charge of the Newburgh (soon to be New Windsor) office regarding all matters except their legal work which will be supervised by the Director of Litigation. The purpose of the position is to increase the impact of our work.
Duties of position:
The duties include being responsible for administration functions in support of the director, attorneys, clients and the office team including screening clients, conducting in-depth interviews of clients for intake, and follow-up investigations of the client’s legal matter. Paralegals engage in technical support, client communication, administrative support for attorneys as well as gathering and collecting essential legal documents. There will be frequent communication with courts and opposing counsel. The paralegal also assists the attorneys in maintaining physical and electronic files in a case management system for clients and applicants for services and in compliance with funder requirements. The person hired will also be expected to adhere to program and case handling standards, funder requirements, and the highest professional standards. Furthermore, the ability to travel to various outreach locations is also expected.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Initial client intakes, and in some cases in-depth screening of applicants for eligibility and services;
- Spanish translation and interpretation;
- Front desk reception duties for walk in clients and phone clients, including provision of non-legal information and referrals;
- Maintenance of file records for client and applicants for services;
- Administrative work as well as general clerical duties, in support of the office staff;
- Associate degree;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of stakeholders;
- Excellent time management, organizational, and problem-solving skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Driver’s license and transportation (e.g., car)
- Must be comfortable using new technology
- Proficiency with the New York Court’s Electronic Filing System and familiarity with legal writing gained in a professional capacity
- Paralegal Certificate
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income persons with prior experience in legal services or similar program;
- English/Spanish Bilingual
Salary: DOE, union scale, with excellent benefits. After a brief probationary period, this position may permit work from home up to six days per month
Please apply for this position at our Career Center by following this link, and include a resume and cover letter:
Systemic Change Paralegal - New Windsor, NY - Legal Services of the Hudson Valley
Legal Services of the Hudson Valley is a proud equal opportunity employer. People of all races, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability and veteran status, are strongly encouraged to apply.