The Erie County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project (VLP) is seeking a full-time Staff Attorney to join its Immigration Program, in their Batavia, NY office. This office handles work, under the Office of New Americans (ONA) State contract, at the Buffalo Federal Detention Facility in Batavia, and some WNY county jails which hold immigrant women.
This is a public defender model program where we represent all low-income detained people that are facing deportation and are not otherwise represented.
• handle individual caseload and represent clients before DOJ-EOIR, DHS, and BIA defending
detained low-income immigrants who are subject to removal for a variety of reasons including
criminal convictions, unlawful entry and visa overstays
• work collaboratively with Paralegals and Social Workers and act as an additional resource to
• grant/data reporting
• special projects/community outreach and education as directed
• other duties may be assigned
Requirements/Skills - Required:
• admitted to practice law
• organizational skills to juggle many cases efficiently while also being able to track and report required data about the work in a timely and accurate manner
• ability to work cooperatively with fellow staff and supervisors while also being able to work independently
• the means and willingness to travel (a driver’s license and regular access to a vehicle are required)
• strong oral and written advocacy skills
• legal research software proficiency
• the desire to want a career in litigation defending detained low-income immigrants
Requirements/Skills – Preferred:
• fluency in Spanish or French
• one year experience in litigation, preferably in immigration removal proceedings
Those without previous experience, but possessing the desire and language skills are encouraged to apply. If the potential candidate possesses two or more years of immigration litigation experience but does not speak a language other than English, they are also encouraged to apply.
TO APPLY: Please send a resume, a cover letter clearly explaining your interest and qualifications.
Include contact information for 3 references and send your materials to: Brenda Cisneros,
Supervising Attorney, ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc. at email@example.com. We will
be accepting applications until the position is filled.
BENEFITS: Salary depends upon experience. VLP provides excellent benefits including health
insurance, long term disability insurance, life insurance, a Simple Employee Pension Plan, and
generous leave time. Dental insurance, FSA, Dependent Care FSA, and 403b plans are also available
through employee contributions. The work atmosphere is congenial, respectful, and flexible.
VLP is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without
regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required unless the individual qualifies for a reasonable
accommodation as required under the Americans with Disabilities Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights
Act of 1964, the New York State Human Rights Law and/or guidance from the Equal Employment
Opportunity Commission. VLP may grant requests for reasonable accommodations to this
requirement on the basis of disability or sincerely held religious