Staff Attorney: Immigration Program
The Erie County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project (VLP) is seeking a full-time attorney to join its Immigration Program, in Buffalo, NY. Immigration work handled by our Buffalo Office includes representation of immigrant victims of crime, refugees and asylum seekers, unaccompanied minors, and other low-income individuals in need of immigration assistance.
• handle a variety of immigration work primarily before the Buffalo Immigration Court and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, including a significant defensive asylum / special immigrant juvenile caseload, as well as some affirmative applications for asylum, permanent residence, and US citizenship
• handle immigration matters for immigrant victims of crime, including for victims of domestic violence and human trafficking
• train/supervise student interns and community volunteers
• some regional travel will be required between our Buffalo office and Batavia office, and occasionally to different locations in the eight counties of Western New York, as needed
• variety of other duties and projects
VLP staff is currently primarily working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We anticipate that the person hired will start out working from home. The position will eventually work out of our office located in Buffalo, NY.
Requirements/Skills - Required:
• admitted to practice law in any US state
• organizational skills to track and report required data about the work in a timely and accurate manner
• ability to work cooperatively with fellow staff and supervisors
• the means and willingness to travel (a driver’s license and regular access to a vehicle are required)
• strong oral and written advocacy skills
• willingness to work independently while also taking direction and operating as part of a team
• organizational ability required to juggle many cases efficiently
• flexibility to handle other tasks which the attorney may be called upon to handle at VLP, such as community outreach and education
Requirements/Skills – Preferred:
• 1 year of experience in immigration law
• fluency in Spanish (strongly preferred but not required)
• demonstrated commitment to representing low-income immigrants
Those without previous experience, but possessing the desire and language skills are encouraged to apply. Candidates possessing Spanish language fluency who are pending admission to the New York Bar in spring 2021 are also encouraged to apply.
TO APPLY: Please send a resume, a cover letter clearly explaining your interest and qualifications. Include contact information for 3 references and send your materials to: Emma Buckthal, Director of Immigration Program, ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc. at email@example.com We will be accepting applications until the position is filled.
VLP is an equal opportunity employer. Salary depends upon experience. Excellent benefits including fully paid health insurance, a cafeteria plan for dependent care and transportation costs, long term disability insurance, life insurance, 403b plan, Simple Employee Pension Plan, and generous leave time. The work atmosphere is congenial, respectful and flexible. For information on VLP, see www.ecbavlp.com