The Erie County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc. (VLP) is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Deputy Director. VLP has a staff of over 40 split between our Buffalo and Batavia offices.
VLP is a mixed model civil legal services program that coordinates services by pro bono attorneys and provides direct representation by our staff. The Buffalo office handles a wide variety of civil legal services, with a focus on involving pro bono lawyers in the delivery of our services to clients. The Batavia office currently handles only immigration law work. The Deputy Director works primarily out of the Buffalo office.
- assist the Executive Director with the overall management of VLP
- securing funding
- managing grants
- reporting to funders
- managing a complex budget and staff
- interfacing with the legal community, the public, and the media
Requirements/Skills - Required:
- 10 or more years of experience in civil legal services
- prior management experience
- marketing/social media experience
- strong oral and written advocacy skills
- a willingness to work independently while also taking direction and operating as part of a team
- the ability to juggle many tasks efficiently
- the flexibility to handle other tasks as presented, such as community outreach and education
- the means and willingness to travel between the Buffalo office and the Batavia office (a driver’s license is required)
- must be admitted to practice in New York and be in good standing
TO APPLY:Please send a resume with a cover letter clearly explaining your interest and qualifications. Include contact information for 3 references and send your materials to: Gretchen Gonzalez, ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc. at email@example.com. Please apply by March 1, 2021.
VLP is an equal opportunity employer. Salary depends upon experience. Excellent benefits including paid health insurance, a cafeteria plan for dependent care and transportation costs, long term disability insurance, life insurance, 403b plan, Simple Employee Pension Plan, and generous leave time. Employee paid dental insurance is also available. The work atmosphere is congenial, respectful and flexible.
For information on VLP, see www.ecbavlp.com VLP staff is currently primarily working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We anticipate that the person hired will start out working from home.