Center for Elder Law & Justice is looking to fill a full-time paralegal position to work within our Legal Technology Services. This position has the potential to take on agency outreach coordination. The ideal candidate will have a legal services background with a strong compassion for public service work.
This position is partly remote due to COVID-19 concerns.
Center for Elder Law & Justice (CELJ) is a civil legal services organization fighting for justice, primarily for low-income older adults, in 10 counties in Western New York. Our attorneys stop illegal evictions, save clients homes from foreclosure, put a stop to elder domestic violence, fight for public benefits, work with our local immigrant & refugee populations, and represent grandparents and other kinship care relatives in custody and neglect petitions in family court. We also advocate for systems-wide policy changes, commenting frequently on changes to regulations and working with local elected leaders on legislation that will impact the poor and vulnerable older adults in our area. We believe that independence and dignity are the hallmarks of justice.
- Work with staff attorney and project funders to develop & expand new financial exploitation application to be used within banking industry
- Ability to develop relationships with third parties
- Work within the community to develop relationships and expand awareness
- Strong focus on training development and implementation
- Heavy research and fact-finding
- Strong presentation skills needed
- Travel is required throughout Buffalo & Chautauqua County, other travel as needed
We will resume required travel as soon as it is safe to do so.
- Self-starter who is willing to take initiative on project tasks
- Ability to analyze reports and quantitative data
- Strong research skills
- 2-5 years of experience
- Experience with CELJ risk detector application
- Banking/financial experience, very helpful
- Highly motivated and passionate about public service work
- College degree, or equivalent paralegal experience required; paralegal certificate helpful
- Excellent writing, speaking and organizational skills
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately while exhibiting patience and diplomacy
Email cover letter and resume to Rachel Haseley, HR Manager, Rhaseley@elderjusticeny.org
CELJ is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Employer recruits without regard to sex, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity, and any such candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.