The Legal Aid Society of Rockland County, Inc. seeks two attorneys for its office in New City, New York —
1) The first position is within our Housing Division, representing clients in landlord/tenant matters, commencing affirmative litigation to protect and secure low-income tenants’ rights, formulating and pursuing non-litigation strategies to protect and secure low-income tenants’ rights and conducting outreach to client communities and agencies.
2) The second position is an attorney for the Children’s Rights Division of the Legal Aid Society to represent children in Family Court as an Attorney for the Child (AFC) in matters including custody, visitation, child abuse/neglect, juvenile delinquency, and PINS.
Qualifications. Applicants must have:
1. Excellent analytical and writing skills
2. Commitment to public interest law
3. Commitment to fighting racism, sexism, and other forms of oppression
4. Interest in and willingness to represent individual clients as well as address systemic issues.
Applicants must be admitted to the New York State Bar or be eligible to practice in New York until admission (law graduates and lawyers admitted in other states). Fluency in Spanish, Creole or Yiddish is a plus, but not required.
Program Profile. Rockland County is a suburban region located 30 miles northwest of New York City. The Legal Aid Society of Rockland County has represented income-eligible clients in civil cases since its inception in 1966 and has also represented children in Family Court since 1989. Our clients are racially, religiously, and linguistically diverse.
Salary for admitted lawyers: $44,774-$85,180, depending on experience. Excellent benefits.Positions will remain open until filled. Please email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com. Please indicate which position you are applying for in the cover letter.
The Legal Aid Society is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply.