Empire Justice Center is pleased to announce an immediate opening for a full-time Paralegal for its health team (Rochester office). The Paralegal will provide education, assistance and advocacy on eligibility for and access to health benefits; and conduct client intake by interviewing prospective clients and identifying their legal needs.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Manage multiple health team grant obligations;
- Conduct intake: Act as the first point of contact with Empire Justice Center clients seeking assistance with any and all health-related matters, interview prospective clients and determine their needs;
- Accurately input and track client information in client database;
- Organize and update client and case information for health team review;
- Maintain confidentiality of client information and files, in accordance with HIPAA and other laws;
- Advocate for consumer access to health benefits and services;
- Assist in the direct representation of clients and researching and responding to requests for technical assistance on health-insurance related matters;
- Provide litigation support to health team attorneys;
- Help develop and provide community presentations on health benefits;
- Attend trainings, presentations and events throughout the year, both on-line and in person;
- Regularly participate in calls and meetings with other health advocates;
- Oversee maintenance of resource material in the substantive area assigned;
- Work with community groups, conduct outreach on the availability of services and help to develop and distribute community education materials;
- Other duties as assigned.
Candidates for this position should possess:
- At least 5 years of paralegal experience or 5 years of relevant Medicaid, Medicare or health law experience
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong IT skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to respond to cultural differences among organizations, client population, and staff
Salary is commensurate with experience and based on the organization’s salary scale. Empire Justice Center offers a generous benefit package, including health insurance, life insurance, vacation, holiday and sick time. We are an organization that supports and encourages a work/life balance.
Empire Justice Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer who desires a diverse work force. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, the elderly, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
If interested, e-mail a resume and contact information for three professional references aware of this application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include office location for your application and Health Team Paralegal, First/Last Name to the subject line of the email. No phone calls or hard copies please.