The Western New York Law Center, Inc. (WNYLC) is looking to fill a Temporary Full-Time Paralegal position to work within our Consumer Debt Department. The ideal candidate will have a legal services background with a dedication to public interest work. WNYLC offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package.
This position is partially remote due to COVID-19 concerns.
WNYLC is a not-for-profit corporation formed in 1996 after Congress restricted the types of cases that Legal Services Corporation (LSC) grantees could handle. The Center represents low-income Western New Yorkers in civil matters, emphasizing those areas restricted by LSC, including consumer debt, foreclosure prevention, and bankruptcy. As part of our work, we administer the Buffalo branch of CLARO, a consumer debt program that originated in New York City, in response to the overwhelming need for legal assistance to individuals being sued for subprime automobile loans, usurious credit agreements, student loans, and other consumer issues.
- Paralegal is responsible for contact with potential clients, screening for immediate needs, and direct client contact throughout case.
- Open and maintain cases in case management system by entering case notes documenting client contacts.
- Work collaboratively with other community groups serving our clients.
- Demonstrate strong listening skills and patience with clients, knowledge of community resources and working closely with attorneys on creative solutions to cases.
- Conduct administrative tasks.
- Ability to work independently.
- Perform other reasonable, related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- College degree, or equivalent paralegal experience required; paralegal certificate helpful.
- Experience with consumer debt, bankruptcy, and/or foreclosure prevention; very helpful.
- Strong writing, interpersonal, organizational and presentation skills.
- Proficient in use of computer software.
- Proven ability to relate well to people who are low-income or of diverse nationalities and cultures.
- Proven initiative taking approach to tasks.
- Potential travel, required.
- May need to work evening hours, as needed.
Please send resume, cover letter, and the names of three references to Paulette Campbell, Esq., CLARO Managing Attorney, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to apply is Friday, November 20th, 2020. No phone calls please.
WNYLC is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Employer recruits without regard to sex, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity, and any such candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.