POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT (August 2020)
GENEVA, NEW YORK
FULL-TIME STAFF ATTORNEY
The Geneva office of Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc. ® has an immediate opening for a Staff Attorney. This position will emphasize a blend of LawNY Geneva’s priority practice areas, including the areas of Landlord/Tenant, Family and Elder Law. The position will likely work in a combination of at least two of these core practice areas. Relevant experience in such legal matters, or a blend of at least two, is preferred. Depending on office needs, the Staff Attorney may also assist with the full range of general practice matters handled by the Geneva Office.
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc. ® is a not-for-profit law firm providing civil legal services to low-income clients in a fourteen county area of western New York including the Finger Lakes and Southern Tier regions. The Geneva office directly serves residents of Livingston, Ontario, Seneca, Wayne and Yates Counties.
LawNY® is committed to equitable inclusion across race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ability, sex, religion, economic circumstances, ethnicity, national origin, and culture. We are striving to transcend the construct of race and be an anti-racist law firm. We encourage staff to bring their whole selves to work each day and pledge to celebrate every aspect of who they are.
- Maintain a full-time caseload, including representation of eligible clients in various civil matters within one or more LawNY® program priorities.
- Specialized knowledge in one or more substantive areas of poverty law.
- Current priorities include Estate, Medicaid, Power of Attorney and Health Care planning; Landlord/Tenant; Real Property/Foreclosure; Family Court Matters; services to Victims of Domestic Violence or Sexual Assault; Public Benefits; and SSI/Social Security.
- Supervise and train staff paralegals, AmeriCorps members, interns, and volunteers.
- Collaborate with other LawNY® advocates, human services providers, non-profit organizations and community, client or other advocacy groups to address problems of the poor, including providing community legal education.
- Substantial involvement with the Courts, administrative tribunals and the private bar is expected.
- Admission to the New York State Bar or eligibility for a temporary practice order is required.
- Applicants should demonstrate a strong commitment to helping poor and disadvantaged people.
- Prior legal experience with low-income and other oppressed communities and clients.
- Experience with the Courts and agencies in the Geneva service area is preferred.
- Strong problem-solving abilities, time management, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work under deadline and manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to empathize and sensitively respond to people in crisis situations.
- Excellent use of Google Drive/GSuite, Word, and Excel; database programs a plus.
- Proficiency in Spanish is an advantage but is not required.
- Lived experience with our client communities is an advantage but is not required.
- Understanding of the principles of race equity analysis and the intersection of racism and poverty and their application to LawNY’s organizational life and to our work.
- Passion for social justice and commitment to the mission of LawNY®.
Salary: Salary is dependent on experience and based on a pay scale with annual increments. Beginning salary for a Staff Attorney with no prior experience is $50,000 and the salary for a Staff Attorney with five years of relevant experience is $57,500 as per the LawNY® salary scale. We also provide an excellent package of fringe benefits including health, disability, and life insurance as well as generous leave provisions.
Procedure: Applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume with three references and a writing sample to Gavin G. Reynolds, Geneva Managing Attorney. All applications and inquiries should be sent by email to email@example.com only. Please do not send applications directly to Geneva office staff. All applications received by September 21st, 2020 will receive full consideration. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc. ® (LawNY®) is an equal opportunity employer. LawNY® encourages applications from diverse candidates. LawNY® welcomes applications regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or any other consideration protected by law. This position is considered Exempt pursuant to the Fair Labor Standards Act.