POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT (August 2020)
GENEVA, NEW YORK
FULL-TIME SUPERVISING ATTORNEY
The Geneva office of Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® has an immediate opening for a Supervising Attorney. Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc. ® is a not-for-profit law firm providing civil legal services to low-income clients in a fourteen county area of western New York, including the Finger Lakes and Southern Tier regions. The Geneva office directly serves residents of Livingston, Ontario, Seneca, Wayne and Yates Counties.
This Geneva office Supervising Attorney position emphasizes in the areas of Elder Law and Housing Law. Depending on office needs, the position may include the full range of general practice matters handled by the Geneva Office.
The Supervising Attorney will maintain a limited caseload, including representation of eligible clients in various civil matters. The position will supervise our Elder Law practice, which includes Estate, Medicaid, Power of Attorney and Health Care planning. The position will also supervise and assist with Landlord/Tenant matters. The successful candidate may also work on other matters within program priorities, including Public Benefits, Real Property/Foreclosure, Family Court Matters, services to Victims of Domestic Violence or Sexual Assault, Public Benefits, and SSI/Social Security.
LawNY® is committed to equitable inclusion across race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ability, sex, religion, economic circumstances, ethnicity, national origin, and culture. We are striving to transcend the construct of race and be an anti-racist law firm. We encourage staff to bring their whole selves to work each day and pledge to celebrate every aspect of who they are.
- Supervise case acceptance in at least one practice area.
- Maintain a limited caseload, including representation of eligible clients in various civil matters within one or more LawNY® program priorities.
- Supervise case work for staff attorneys, staff paralegals, AmeriCorps members, interns and volunteers across various practice areas.
- Review and approve supervisee timekeeping and data entry.
- Maintain thorough and timely case and file management, including case closing and compliance for supervisees.
- Develop specialized knowledge in one or more substantive areas of poverty law.
- Collaborate with other human services providers, non-profit organizations and community, client or other advocacy groups to address problems of the poor, including providing community legal education.
- Substantial involvement with the Geneva service-area Courts, administrative tribunals and the private bar is expected.
- Admission to the New York State Bar is required with at least three years of practice experience.
- Applicants should demonstrate a strong commitment to helping poor and disadvantaged people.
- Respect for the value of differences in race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstances.
- Prior legal experience with low-income and other oppressed communities and clients.
- Understanding of the principles of race equity analysis and the intersection of racism and poverty and their application to LawNY’s organizational life and to our work.
- Passion for social justice and commitment to the mission of LawNY®.
- Attention to detail and keen organization skills.
- Ability to work under deadline and manage multiple tasks.
- Lived experience with our client communities is an advantage but is not required.
- Proficiency in Spanish is an advantage but is not required.
- Ability to empathize and sensitively respond to people in crisis situations.
- Excellent use of Google Drive/GSuite, Word, and Excel; database programs a plus.
- Strong problem-solving abilities, time management, and organizational skills.
- Ability to support staff in their pursuit of career advancement and professional development.
Salary: Salary is dependent on experience and based on a pay scale with annual increments. Beginning salary for a Supervising Attorney with three years of legal services experience is $58,500 as per the LawNY® salary scale. We also provide an excellent package of fringe benefits including health, disability and life insurance as well as generous leave provisions.
Procedure: Applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume with three references and a writing sample to Gavin G. Reynolds, Geneva Managing Attorney. All applications and inquiries should be sent by email to email@example.com only. Please do not send applications directly to Geneva office staff. All applications received by September 21st, 2020 will receive full consideration. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® (LawNY®) is an equal opportunity employer. LawNY® encourages applications from diverse candidates. LawNY® welcomes applications regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or any other consideration protected by law. This position is considered Exempt pursuant to the Fair Labor Standards Act.