Center for Elder Law & Justice is looking to fill a paralegal position to work in our Elder Abuse unit. This position is located in our Dunkirk, NY office.
The ideal candidate will have legal services background with a strong compassion for public service work.
This position is currently remote due to COVID-19 concerns.
Center for Elder Law & Justice (CELJ) civil legal services organization fighting for justice, primarily for low-income older adults, in 10 counties in Western New York. Our attorneys stop illegal evictions, save clients homes from foreclosure, put a stop to elder domestic violence, fight for public benefits, work with our local immigrant & refugee populations, and represent grandparents and other kinship care relatives in custody and neglect petitions in family court. We also advocate for systems-wide policy changes, commenting frequently on changes to regulations and working with local elected leaders on legislation that will impact the poor and vulnerable older adults in our area. We believe that independence and dignity are the hallmarks of justice.
- 2-5 years of experience
- Experience working with individuals in crises, very helpful
- Highly motivated and passionate about public service work
- College degree, or equivalent paralegal experience required; paralegal certificate helpful
- Excellent writing, speaking and organizational skills
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately while exhibiting patience and diplomacy
- Potential travel, required
- May need to work evening hours, as needed
- Paralegal is responsible for initial contact with potential clients, screening for immediate needs, and direct client contact throughout case.
- Paralegal will need to undergo trauma-informed training, if not already trained.
- Should demonstrate strong listening skills and patience with clients, knowledge of community resources and working closely with attorneys and social workers on creative solutions to cases.
CELJ offers a competitive benefits and compensation package, including:
- Generous vacation and sick time
- Thirteen holidays a year, plus two half-day holidays
- Summer hours between Memorial Day and Labor Day
- Payment of license fees and association dues
- Encouragement of professional development
Send cover letter and resume to Rachel Haseley, HR Director Rhaseley@elderjusticeny.org
No phone calls please.
CELJ is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Employer recruits without regard to sex, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity, and any such candidates are strongly encouraged to apply