LawNY–Ithaca Job Announcement
POSITION AVAILABLE: FULL TIME SUPERVISING ATTORNEY
The Ithaca office of Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® has an immediate opening for a Supervising Attorney. Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc. ® is a not-for-profit law firm providing civil legal services to low-income clients in a fourteen county area of western New York, including the Finger Lakes and Southern Tier regions. The Ithaca office directly serves residents of Tompkins and Tioga Counties.
This Ithaca office Supervisory and General Practice position emphasizes Housing and Benefits, but also includes the full range of general practice matters handled by the program at the Administrative, Trial Court and Appellate levels.
The Supervising Attorney will maintain a limited caseload, including representation of eligible clients in various civil matters which may include Landlord/Tenant, Real Property/Foreclosure, Medicaid/Health Care, SSI/Social Security, Welfare, Unemployment Insurance Benefits, Re-entry, services to Victims of Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, or Elder Abuse, Consumer, Family, or Elder Law and other matters within program priorities.
LawNY® is committed to equitable inclusion across race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ability, sex, religion, economic circumstances, ethnicity, national origin, and culture. We are striving to transcend the construct of race and be an anti-racist law firm. We encourage staff to bring their whole selves to work each day and pledge to celebrate every aspect of who they are.
- Supervise case acceptance in at least one practice area.
- Supervise case work for staff attorneys, staff paralegals, AmeriCorps members, interns and volunteers across various practice areas.
- Review and approve supervisee timekeeping and data entry.
- Maintain thorough and timely case and file management, including case closing and compliance for supervisees.
- Develop specialized knowledge in one or more substantive areas of poverty law.
- Collaborate with other human services providers, non-profit organizations and community, client or other advocacy groups to address problems of the poor, including providing community legal education.
- Substantial involvement with the Courts, administrative tribunals and the private bar is expected.
- Admission to the New York State Bar is required with at least three years of practice experience.
- Applicants should demonstrate a strong commitment to helping poor and disadvantaged people.
- Respect for the value of differences in race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstances.
- Prior legal experience with low-income and other oppressed communities and clients.
- Understanding of the principles of race equity analysis and the intersection of racism and poverty and their application to LawNY’s organizational life and to our work.
- Passion for social justice and commitment to the mission of LawNY®.
- Attention to detail and keen organization skills.
- Ability to work under deadline and manage multiple tasks.
- Lived experience with our client communities highly desired.
- Ability to empathize and sensitively respond to people in crisis situations.
- Excellent use of Google Drive/GSuite, Word, and Excel; database programs a plus.
- Strong problem-solving abilities, time management, and organizational skills.
- Ability to support staff in their pursuit of career advancement and professional development.
Salary: Salary is dependent on experience and based on a pay scale with annual increments. Beginning salary for a Supervising Attorney with three years of legal services experience is $58,500 as per the LawNY® salary scale. We also provide an excellent package of fringe benefits including health, disability and life insurance as well as generous leave provisions.
Procedure: Applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume with three references and a writing sample to Gregg A. Thomas, Ithaca Office Managing Attorney. All applications and inquiries should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org only. Please do not send applications directly to Ithaca office staff.
All applications received by August 28, 2020 will receive full consideration. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® (LawNY®) is an equal opportunity employer. LawNY® encourages applications from diverse candidates. LawNY® welcomes applications regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or any other consideration protected by law. This position is considered Exempt pursuant to the Fair Labor Standards Act.