Staff Attorney: Immigration Program
The Erie County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project (VLP) is seeking a full-time attorney to join its Immigration Program, in Buffalo, NY. Immigration work handled by our Buffalo Office includes representation of immigrant victims of crime, refugees and asylum seekers, unaccompanied minors, and other low income individuals in need of immigration assistance.
- handle immigration matters for immigrant victims of crime, including domestic violence and human trafficking
- handle a variety of immigration work primarily before the Buffalo Immigration Court and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, including removal defense, applications for asylum, permanent residence, special immigrant juvenile status, and US citizenship
- train/supervise student interns and community volunteers
- some regional travel will be required between our Buffalo office and Batavia office, and occasionally to different locations in the eight counties of Western New York, as needed
- variety of other duties and projects
Requirements/Skills - Required:
- admitted to practice law in NY
- fluency in Spanish
- organizational skills to track and report required data about the work in a timely and accurate manner
- ability to work cooperatively with fellow staff and supervisors
- the means and willingness to travel (a driver's license and regular access to a vehicle are required)
- strong oral and written advocacy skills
- willingness to work independently while also taking direction and operating as part of a team
- organizational ability required to juggle many cases efficiently
- flexibility to handle other tasks which the attorney may be called upon to handle at VLP, such as community outreach and education
Requirements/Skills - Preferred:
- 1 year of experience in immigration law
- demonstrated commitment to representing low income immigrants
Those without previous experience, but possessing the desire and language skills are encouraged to apply. Candidates possessing Spanish language fluency who are sitting for the August 2019 to the New York Bar are also encouraged to apply. Candidates without Spanish language fluency will not be considered.
TO APPLY: Please send a resume, a brief writing sample (no more than ten pages), a cover letter clearly explaining your interest and qualifications. Include contact information for 3 references and send your materials to: Emma Buckthal, Supervising Attorney, ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc. at email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed as received.
VLP is an equal opportunity employer. Salary depends upon experience. Excellent benefits including fully paid health insurance, a cafeteria plan for dependent care and transportation costs, long term disability insurance, life insurance, 403b plan, Simple Employee Pension Plan, and generous leave time. Employee paid dental insurance is also available. The work atmosphere is congenial, respectful and flexible. For information on VLP, see www.ecbavlp.com