Founded in 1967, Legal
Services of the Hudson Valley is a not-for-profit law firm, providing free
high-quality legal services in civil matters (noncriminal) for individuals and
families who cannot afford an attorney when their basic human needs are at stake.
This includes urgent legal needs such as: housing, domestic violence and family
law, income and public benefits, healthcare, consumer law, and advocacy on
behalf of elders, people with disabilities, and veterans and military families,
among others. Our clients are at or below 200% of the federal poverty income
guidelines, and almost 550,000 residents of the Hudson Valley qualify for our
services. We handle approximately 15,000 cases per year, impacting roughly
35,000 household members across the seven counties of the lower and mid-Hudson
Valley (Westchester, Putnam, Rockland, Orange, Dutchess, Ulster and Sullivan).
In pursuit of this mission, LSHV maintains a staff of 150, including 90
attorneys and 30 paralegals, across ten offices.
Services of the Hudson Valley (LSHV) has an immediate opening in our Yonkers office
for a full-time staff attorney to work on housing matters. The attorney will
also serve low-income individuals and families with matters including eviction,
unlawful lock-outs, habitability issues and succession rights challenges. As many of our clients have protected housing
or have specialized housing vouchers, the work will include section 8 and other
hearings on voucher changes or terminations.
of the Position: individual case work, administrative advocacy and litigation
in city courts and justice courts, including appellate practice, and education
and outreach efforts directed at community members, advocates and service
providers. The person hired will also be expected to adhere to program
and case handling standards, funder requirements, the highest professional
standards, and be available as a resource to LSHV staff and access to justice
communities. Occasional appearances in
night court pertaining to housing matters, may be required.Qualifications
- Member in good standing of the New York State Bar; admission to Federal court, a plus
- Understanding of the nature and dynamics of housing and benefits
- Excellent people skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of stakeholders
- Driver License and access to vehicle
- Two or more years of legal experience, including litigation, preferably with background in housing however pending admission will also be considered
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income persons with prior experience in legal services or similar program
- English/Spanish bilingual
union scale, with excellent benefits.
apply at our career center and include cover letter, resume, writing sample and
Services of the Hudson Valley- Housing Staff Attorney-Yonkers, NY