The New York Legal Assistance Group
(NYLAG) seeks a highly motivated bilingual Staff Attorney for a full-time
position representing individuals and families in applications for immigration relief.
This position will work with a team of three attorneys and a paralegal through the
Office for New Americans (ONA) to provide consultations, presentations, legal
representation, and technical support for community based organizations in
Brooklyn and Queens. The Staff Attorney will
represent immigrants in administrative and removal proceedings before USCIS and
the Immigration Courts, will organize and present at community events, and will
provide on-site consultations at community based organizations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Represent immigrants in Brooklyn and Queens.
- Screen clients for eligibility for immigration relief.
- Complete and file immigration applications.
- Interview clients and witnesses, prepare forms, affidavits, and other supporting documents to be submitted to USCIS or the Immigration Court.
- Conduct client consultations and track client cases, progress of applications, and follow up.
- Represent NYLAG at community events.
- Coordinate outreach to community organizations and provide group presentations to advise potential clients of their legal rights and entitlements and to educate community partners.
- Travel through Brooklyn and Queens to meet with clients and conduct consultations and attend community events.
- J.D. required.
- Admission to the New York or other state bar.
- Fluency in Spanish or other language common to our client population other than English required.
- Minimum of two to three years of relevant experience working on immigration matters.
- Excellent writing, speaking and organizational skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients, community organizations, attorneys, the judiciary and the public.
- Ability to work in a collaborative setting with other professionals.
- Demonstrated commitment to working with immigrant communities and social justice.
- Experience working with survivors of trauma.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure.
Contact Lizbeth Lopez, firstname.lastname@example.org