The Mental Health Project of the
Urban Justice Center (MHP) seeks a full-time Paralegal to help represent clients
with mental illness in their claims for Social Security disability benefits. MHP is a team of attorneys, social workers
and advocates dedicated to enforcing the rights of low-income New Yorkers with
mental health concerns.
- Assisting with all aspects of case development and hearing preparation, including requests for medical evidence, correspondence with the Social Security Administration and other agencies, and case closings;
- Scheduling and conducting new client intake, including off-site clinics and outreach;
- Interviewing clients;
- Providing legal information, advocacy and referrals to clients;
- Organizing and maintaining case notes and other client information in our case management system;
- Assisting with grant reporting; and
- Additional tasks as necessary.
- Bachelor?s Degree;
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills, including the ability to track information about a high volume of cases;
- Efficient and meticulous attention to detail;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with a diverse client population in a sensitive and professional manner;
- Excellent writing skills, including the ability to compose, edit and proof correspondence;
- Excellent critical thinking skills;
- Ability to work independently, manage a high workload, meet deadlines, and be flexible;
- Ability to work as a member of a team;
- Demonstrated commitment to working in the public interest or advocating for persons with mental health concerns; and
- Advocacy skills, and the ability to navigate bureaucratic systems.
Fluency in Spanish
is strongly preferred and knowledge of the Social Security benefits system is a
Salary DOE, and
includes excellent benefits. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and
writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write "Paralegal" in the email subject
line. Applications will be reviewed on a
rolling basis. Due to high volume, we
are unable to respond to all inquiries and will contact only those candidates
selected for further consideration.
is a bargaining unit position represented for collective bargaining purposes by
the National Organization of Legal Services Workers, UAW, Local 2230.
Urban Justice Center is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded
equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race,
religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual
orientation, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of
domestic violence status or marital status.