The Legal Aid Society's Civil Practice is seeking Supervising Attorneys to join the citywide Immigration Law Unit to assist in coordinating and supervising the Unit's New York Immigrant Family Unity Project (NYIFUP), the first universal representation program in the country for individuals detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and facing the prospect of removal. The Supervising Attorneys will be involved in day-to-day operations and will work closely with the Attorney- in-Charge, the Deputy Attorney-in-Charge, and other Supervising Attorneys to train, supervise, and mentor staff. The Supervising Attorneys will participate in Practice-wide management discussions and decision making.
The Unit is a recognized leader in the delivery of high quality legal services to immigrants in New York City and surrounding counties. The NYIFUP program provides low-income New Yorkers who are detained by ICE at the time of our intake with free, comprehensive immigration services ranging from removal defense, bond hearings, appeals to the Board of Immigration Appeals, habeas corpus petitions in federal district court and Petitions for Review in the federal circuit courts, as well as seeking relief through affirmative applications before U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and in family court proceedings on Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS) motions. The Unit specializes in the intersection between immigration and criminal law, and works collaboratively with all practice areas to serve the Society's diverse immigrant clients through a comprehensive service model.
* Assist in coordinating and supervising the Unit's New York Immigrant Family Unity Project (NYIFUP)
* Assist in the direct supervision and mentoring of staff attorneys, paralegals and volunteers working with detained and non-detained immigrants in removal proceedings
* Assist in monitoring and maintaining a high standard of representation and client service
* Maintain a reasonable caseload
* Analyze legal issues, develop legal strategy and supervise implementation of legal strategies
* Foster and encourage teamwork and communication
* Develop skills and knowledge of staff members
* Provide oversight of a weekly detention hotline staffed by volunteer attorneys
* Assist with the development and implementation of programs
* Assist with the funding for and reporting on programs
* Respond to client, community and staff concerns
* Other duties as assigned