TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS
* Admission to New York State Bar, pending admission to the New York
State Bar, or admission to any other state bar with immediate ability to
waive into the New York State Bar
* One year removal defense
experience including law school clinics and internships or at least two
years representing indigent clients post law school graduation
* Demonstrated commitment to representing low-income, disadvantaged clients
* Immigration law and trial experience preferred
* Excellent writing, analytical, and organizational skills
* Interest in developing new approaches to representing detained noncitizens
* Ability to work with pro bono lawyers
* Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team
* Ability to manage a high volume of cases
* Proficiency in languages other than English is desirable, but not required
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
The leadership of The Legal Aid Society is committed to a work
culture of zealous advocacy, respect, diversity and inclusion,
client-oriented defense, access to justice and excellent representation.
We are dedicated to building a strong professional relationship with
each of our clients, to understanding their diverse circumstances, and
to meeting their needs. Our ability to achieve these goals depends on
the efforts of all of us.
HOW TO APPLY
You must apply online at the LAS Recruitment Portal. The Legal Aid
Society is reducing its carbon footprint and therefore paper
applications are not accepted. Only PDF documents will be accepted. If
your document is not a PDF, your application will not be processed.
Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be
processed. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis so
applicants are encouraged to apply early.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- women,
people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ communities, veterans, and people
with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email email@example.com opens an email client application .