Legal Aid Society's Civil Practice is seeking a Staff Attorney to be
based in the Bronx Neighborhood Office and conduct Single Stop outreach
intake at several Single Stop sites. Our host agency partners will give
clients appointments to be interviewed, and there may also be walk-in
clients at sites where permitted. Some clients will be referred to the
attorney by telephone or email at times when pressing or emergency cases
cannot wait until the time of the next site visit. The attorney will
review cases with a supervisor and will be assigned such cases as may be
deemed appropriate. In the event that few cases suitable for
representation are seen or other needs arise, cases from other sources
may also be assigned. The attorney will also engage in more general
community outreach to better serve clients. Although assigned to the
Housing Unit, the attorney may be asked to provide representation on
non-housing cases that are seen at Single Stop intake. Single Stop sites
are currently at the offices of Community Based Organizations and
Community Colleges and are subject to change. Several sites remain open
until 6 PM. Site hours are subject to change.
* Client representation in city, state and federal court proceedings, administrative hearings and affirmative litigation
* Client representation and advocacy with local, state and federal agencies
* Training, community outreach and education to individuals, local community-based organizations and housing advocates
* Policy advocacy
* Coordination and collaborative work with other groups and organizations
* Represent the Civil Practice and The Legal Aid Society in the community
* Promote the work of the office, the Housing Law Practice and the Civil Practice
* Work with pro bono lawyers and partner organizations
* Conduct off-site intake, including during evening hours
* Other duties as assigned
Posting End Date-11:59 pm EST
Apr 25, 2019
Bronx - Civil Practice Neighborhood Office
* Admission to the New York State Bar
* Excellent written and oral advocacy skills
* Excellent organizational skills
* Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team and manage a high volume of cases
* Demonstrated commitment to and experience in public interest law and civil legal services
* Ability to coordinate and collaborate successfully with other groups and organizations
* Proficiency in languages other than English is desirable, but not required
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis so applicants are encouraged to apply early.
Only PDF documents will
be accepted. If your document is not a PDF, your application will not
be processed. Applications submitted without all the required materials
will not be processed.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
of The Legal Aid Society is committed to a work culture of zealous
advocacy, respect, diversity and inclusion, client-oriented defense,
access to justice and excellent representation. We are dedicated to
building a strong professional relationship with each of our clients, to
understanding their diverse circumstances, and to meeting their needs.
Our ability to achieve these goals depends on the efforts of all of us.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer --
women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ communities, veterans, and
people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email email@example.com opens an email client application .