Rochester, NY - Full time, Exempt position
The Empire Justice Center is a statewide,
mission-driven organization dedicated to using the law to gain improvements in
social and economic justice in New York State.
Our mission is to protect and strengthen the legal rights of people in
New York State who are poor, disabled or disenfranchised through: systems
change advocacy, training and support to other advocates and organizations, and
high quality direct civil legal representation. For over forty years, this
powerful multi-pronged approach of practicing the law, improving the law, and
teaching the law has provided needed assistance to clients attaining deeper
and longer lasting impacts on systems.
Empire Justice Center has an annual budget of
$7M and over 60 employees. With offices in Rochester, Albany, Westchester
County, and on Long Island, we attract and employ dedicated, determined, and
zealous advocates who, together, make a significant impact on the lives of
low-income New Yorkers. Empire Justice Center offers staff an exciting and
dynamic working environment and a strong commitment to teamwork, diversity, and
personal/professional development. Our staff is passionate about and committed
to, protecting and strengthening the legal rights of our clients, and knows
that working on behalf of the poor, disabled, or disenfranchised is a
After eighteen years at the helm, our
President/CEO is retiring. Empire Justice Center seeks a visionary leader for
one of the most highly respected and effective legal services organizations
serving low-income individuals and families in New York State. The
CEO/President will be inspiring, motivating, and innovative, a leader in the
world of social justice and legal services, who will foster a culture of
diversity, inclusivity, and interconnectedness.
Empire Justice Center is a unique
organization and presents unique opportunities. We focus on a variety of issue
areas, provide diverse services, employ a staff of varying experience and
expertise, and work in five offices across the state. This is an exciting
period of growth and change for the organization. We recently created the
position of V.P. of Diversity, Inclusion and Human Resources, and are hiring a
new Chief Litigation Officer. The new President/CEO will have the opportunity
to work with this new leadership team to engage in strategic planning and
ensure that the organization continues to function as a cohesive unit in
support of its mission.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THE NEXT PRESIDENT/CEO
- Articulate a compelling vision for the future of the Empire Justice Center.
- Lead and inspire a large organization diverse in geography, programs, and staff.
- Provide proactive fiscal management and oversight to assure Empire Justice remains a viable and fiscally stable organization.
- Serve as the chief executive officer with overall strategic and operational responsibility for staff, programs, finances, and execution of its mission.
- In collaboration with the Board of Directors, provide leadership in strategic planning for the organization and lead staff in developing program and organizational plans that are linked to the overall strategic plan.
- Serve as Empire Justice?s organizational spokesperson and liaison to critical partners, including the New York State Bar Association, the Office of Court Administration, the leadership of the state?s Executive and Legislative branches, key state agencies, the Access to Justice community and the leadership of the legal services community.
- Build and strengthen Empire Justice?s reputation by establishing positive and productive working relationships with public, private, and not-for profit organizations, private donors, foundations, corporate and government leaders.
- Lead, coach, develop, attract, retain and cultivate high quality staff with a commitment to nurturing diversity in the workplace.
- Work with the Board of Directors to effectively develop solutions to organizational, financial, legal and political challenges.
- Promote the highest standards of ethics, integrity, respect, and humility.
- Respect the dignity and promote the growth of each staff member.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Five to ten years of demonstrated leadership experience in a not for profit, community, or legal setting.
- Experience serving on and/or working with a Board of Directors.
- Experience developing and managing organizational budgets.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, including the ability to motivate and inspire staff, community leaders, and funders.
- Willingness to travel throughout New York State, including to Empire Justice Center's offices in Rochester, Albany, Westchester County, and Long Island.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice issues and improving the lives of low income and marginalized persons.
- Successful leadership in a multi-million dollar organization with a diverse team of administrative, legal, and policy staff in a multi-office nonprofit organization.
- Familiarity with New York State?s political, legal, and social environment, and laws and issues affecting low income people.
- Demonstrated expertise with legislative advocacy and/or fundraising.
- Proven knowledge of financial matters including development of budget, compliance with grant and contract requirements, and financial reporting and oversight.
- Successful experience in resource development and pursuing new funding streams.
- Keen understanding of an advocate?s ethical duties and responsibilities to their client as well as appreciation of the powerful impact that the law has on those who are marginalized.
- Decisive, results-oriented leader with a highly collaborative and inclusive approach to management.
- Awareness and willingness to address racial and other disparities and implicit biases in the office, the justice and political systems, and the larger culture.
- Juris Doctor or other advanced degree (master's or doctorate) in an area relevant to Empire Justice Center?s mission.
Salary is commensurate with experience and
based on the organization's salary scale.
Empire Justice Center benefits package includes
health insurance, pension, life insurance, paid parental leave, vacation, holiday,
personal and sick time. We are an organization that supports and encourages a
Applicants are asked to submit a letter expressing in detail your
interest in the position, how your experience meets or exceeds the
qualifications of this posting, and what you hope to contribute to the
organization's future; a current resume;
and the names and contact information for three professional references to: CEOsearch@empirejustice.org
is open until filled, but for full consideration please apply by April 24th,
Empire Justice Center is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer who desires a diverse workforce. People of color, women, persons with
disabilities, individuals who are elderly, gay, lesbian, bisexual or
transgender are welcomed and encouraged to apply.