Criminal Defense Practice of The Legal Aid Society has two openings for
Staff Attorney positions in its DNA Unit. One is for the Bronx trial
office and the other for our Water Street office. The DNA Unit provides
citywide support on DNA issues. DNA Staff Attorneys are the Society's
in-house experts in DNA matters and provide support for Criminal Defense
Practice attorneys and other defense attorneys. DNA Staff Attorneys
maintain caseloads limited to matters where DNA evidence is involved and
provide support, including expert assistance and second-seating, for
DNA cases handled by other Society attorneys. All members of this
citywide unit also work together to develop, implement, and coordinate
Society policy and litigation strategy concerning DNA matters.
* Represent clients in criminal proceedings involving DNA
* Provide support and assistance for other Society attorneys handling DNA cases
* Provide in-house and external training on DNA issues
* Provide back-up support on DNA issues for other defense attorneys in New York City
* Advocate for policy changes in DNA matters, as needed
* Other duties as assigned
Bronx - Criminal Defense Practice Office
TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS
* Admission to the New York State Bar
* Extensive trial experience and expert trial skills
* Felony certification
* Experience working on DNA cases
Substantial background in forensics and the science of DNA or the
demonstrated aptitude and willingness to acquire such knowledge and to
maintain expertise, particularly in such areas as forensic biology and
* Excellent oral and written advocacy skills
* Excellent ability to train other staff
* Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
* Ability and willingness to work as part of a citywide team
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
The leadership of The Legal Aid Society is committed to a work
culture of zealous advocacy, respect, diversity and inclusion,
client-oriented defense, access to justice and excellent representation.
We are dedicated to building a strong professional relationship with
each of our clients, to understanding their diverse circumstances, and
to meeting their needs. Our ability to achieve these goals depends on
the efforts of all of us.
HOW TO APPLY
You must apply online at the LAS Recruitment Portal. The Legal Aid
Society is reducing its carbon footprint and therefore paper
applications are not accepted. Only PDF documents will be accepted. If
your document is not a PDF, your application will not be processed.
Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer --
women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ communities, veterans, and
people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email email@example.com opens an email client application .