The Special Education Unit(SEU) at the New York Legal Assistance Group seeks a skilled full time lawyer to join our staff. The SEU represents low-income families throughout New York City whose special needs children are not receiving the free appropriate public education guaranteed by federal and state law. We are looking for someone who will be able to immediately assume responsibility for an existing caseload. Such work will include filing Due Process Complaints, representing clients at impartial hearings, negotiating settlement agreements, filing appeals as needed with the State Review Office and in federal court, advising private lawyers who have taken on special education cases, and mentoring summer interns, volunteers and paralegals.
A successful applicant must appreciate the importance of collaborating with SEU colleagues.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen clients for special education representation;
- Gather and analyze relevant documents;
- Analysis of legal issues;
- Provide legal advice;
- Keep abreast of the law and procedures within the field of Special Education;
- Legal research;
- Draft legal documents, including Due Process Complaints, and appeals to the State Review Office and federal court;
- Represent clients at Impartial Hearings and other forums;
- Mentor law students, volunteers, and pro bono attorneys; and
- Conduct and develop educational trainings for the community, partners, or agencies
- Admission to the New York State bar;
- Three years of experience working in the field of special education;
- Excellent writing, speaking and organizational skills;
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients, community organizations, attorneys, the judiciary and the public;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative setting with other professionals; and
- Ability to speak Spanish preferred.
- Experience working with diverse groups