TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS
* Admission to the New York State Bar or ability to waive into New York State from another jurisdiction
* At least 5 years of demonstrated commitment to public defense, social and racial justice, and equity
* Significant experience in all aspects of criminal post-conviction representation
* Excellent trial skills
* Excellent research, writing, brief-writing, and oral argument skills
* Substantial background in forensics and the science of DNA or the demonstrated aptitude and willingness to acquire such knowledge and to maintain expertise, particularly in such areas as forensic biology and statistics
* Comprehensive knowledge of relevant New York State and federal law including evidence laws, criminal and constitutional laws, statutory interpretation, and ethical principles contained in the Rules of Professional Conduct
* Excellent interpersonal coaching and development skills
* Excellent organizational, case management, and strategic planning skills
* Demonstrated ability to lead and develop a team of attorneys with varying experience levels
* Ability to challenge others to seek innovative and creative approaches to advocacy and to encourage ongoing development by providing effective performance feedback and evaluation
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
The leadership of The Legal Aid Society is committed to a work culture of zealous advocacy, respect, diversity and inclusion, client-oriented defense, access to justice and excellent representation. We are dedicated to building a strong professional relationship with each of our clients, to understanding their diverse circumstances, and to meeting their needs. Our ability to achieve these goals depends on the efforts of all of us.
HOW TO APPLY
You must apply online at the LAS Recruitment Portal. The Legal Aid Society is reducing its carbon footprint and therefore paper applications are not accepted. Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not a PDF, your application will not be processed. Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ communities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .