Chief LITIGATION Officer
Rochester, NY - Full time, Exempt position*
Empire Justice Center attracts and employs dedicated, determined and passionate advocates who, together, make a significant impact on the lives of low-income New Yorkers. We achieve our successes through direct legal representation and high impact litigation, legislative and administrative advocacy, and by providing training and technical assistance to other advocates who are working towards the same goals.
With offices in Rochester, Albany, Westchester and Long Island, our organization offers staff an exciting and dynamic working environment and a strong commitment to teamwork, diversity, and personal/professional development.
As a member of the leadership team, the Chief Litigation Officer will lead the legal work of Empire Justice and provide information, technical assistance, supervision, training and support to staff on litigation and serve as a resource in overseeing and managing ongoing relationships and capacity related to litigation and legal assistance.
Primary responsibilities will include
- Litigation development and support
- Develop, manage, and supervise Empire Justice Centers' systemic and impact litigation;
- Develop and expand co-counseling and collaborations with partner organization and private firms
- Leadership and Supervision
- Active participation in the leadership of the organization
- Support and supervise a team of experienced and newer attorneys;
- Develop and implement policies and procedures related to litigation, representation, and related matters
- Project management experience in assessing, identifying, and implementing programming based on the needs of the organization;
- Proven supervisory and leadership skills in a legal program;
- Ability to shift priorities while working in a fast paced environment with multiple competing objectives;
- Effective decision making skills that balance overall organizational and leadership objectives with employee needs;
- Strong writing skills in legal drafting of complex briefs, pleadings, and motions;
- Strong verbal communication skills required.
- Experience conducting all phases of complex civil litigation, including but not limited to: depositions, motion practice (including oral argument), discovery (including use of experts), and trial work requi Experience with appellate practice strongly preferred.
- Effective interpersonal skills and the ability to cultivate partnerships and to work with a diverse workforce.
- Demonstrated commitment to expanding the rights of low income persons and increasing social justice through individual and systemic litigation
- Clear commitment to principles of diversity and inclusion;
- Experience in practicing in both state and federal courts;
- A demonstrated history of achieving positive systemic change via class action, major impact or other systemic litigation.
- Be admitted to practice law in New York or eligible for admission to the New York Bar at the time of hiring (must be admitted within one year of hire);
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school;
- At least fifteen (15) years relevant litigation experience, including experience with complex civil litigation;
- Ability and willingness to travel on a regular basis between offices across the state for effective supervision, mentoring and training of staff
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and based on the organization's salary scale. Empire Justice Center offers a generous benefits package, including health insurance, pension and life insurance, vacation, holiday, personal and sick time. We are an organization that supports and encourages a work/life balance.
Empire Justice Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and desires a diverse work force. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, persons who are elderly, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
This position is available immediately. Applications accepted through Friday October 5, 2018. To apply, e-mail a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three professional references to address below. No phone calls or hard copies please.