Workers' Rights/Employment Law Attorney Full Time
Rochester, New York*
Empire Justice is a statewide, multi‐issue, multi‐strategy non‐profit law firm focused on improving the "systems" within which poor and low‐income families live. With a focus on poverty law, Empire Justice Center undertakes research and training, acts as an informational clearinghouse, and provides direct representation and support to local legal services programs and community based organizations. As an advocacy organization, we engage in legislative and administrative advocacy on behalf of those harmed by poverty and discrimination. As a nonprofit law firm, we provide legal assistance to those in need and undertake impact litigation in order to protect and defend the rights of disenfranchised New Yorkers.
Empire Justice employs dedicated, determined, and passionate advocates who work together to make a significant impact on the lives of low‐income New Yorkers. With offices in Rochester, Albany, Westchester, and Long Island our organization offers staff an exciting and dynamic working environment and a strong commitment to teamwork, diversity, and personal/professional development.
Empire Justice is seeking an experienced attorney to serve in our Rochester office. As a member of our Civil Rights, Education and Employment Practice Group, the Workers' Rights Attorney will have the opportunity to work with team members to develop and litigate systemic change employment cases and will manage a caseload representing diverse individuals and groups of low‐wage workers living throughout the Genesee Valley region. These cases include federal and state wage claims, employment discrimination, enforcement of state and federal labor protective statutes, civil rights matters, and other related areas of law. The Workers' Rights Attorney will have the opportunity to develop dynamic and creative strategies that help workers achieve justice, through systemic litigation. An integral part of the Attorney's work also includes advocacy on behalf of low wage workers through state level policy initiatives, and collaboration with community organizations supporting the low‐income and marginalized communities we serve. Depending upon experience, the Workers' Rights Attorney may also be responsible for directly supervising other attorneys and/or paralegal staff in the Practice Group.
Skills and Qualifications
- At least 7 years' experience providing legal services to low‐income workers or comparable relevant experience;
- Experience in affirmative advocacy and litigation involving employment law matters, including collective and/or class actions on behalf of low income people;
- A strong background and experience in state and/or federal courts, as well as in administrative proceedings (e.g. EEOC and NYS Division of Human Rights);
- Excellent litigation and negotiation skills;
- Experience creating systemic change through litigation and/or other means;
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong legal research and analytical skills; written and verbal communication skills; organizational and leadership skills;
- Admission to the New York State Bar or attorney admitted in another state who is eligible for practice under a legal services practice order required.
- Experience in outreach, community education, organizing, and coalition‐building strongly preferred;
- Spanish language proficiency preferred.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and based on the organization's salary scale. Empire Justice offers a generous benefit package, including health insurance, life insurance, vacation, holiday and sick time. We are an organization that supports and encourages a
Empire Justice is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer and desires a diverse and inclusive work force. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, the elderly, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
This position is available immediately. To apply, please email (no phone calls or hard copy mail please) a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three professional references.