Rochester, NY - Full time, Exempt position
Empire Justice Center attracts and employs dedicated, determined, and passionate advocates who, together, make a significant impact on the lives of low-income New Yorkers. We achieve our successes through direct legal representation and high-impact litigation, legislative and administrative advocacy, and by providing training and technical assistance to other advocates who are working towards the same goals.
With offices in Rochester, Albany, Westchester, and Long Island, our organization offers staff an exciting and dynamic working environment and a strong commitment to teamwork, diversity, and personal/professional development.
Responsibilities and Duties
The LGBTQ Rights Attorney will:
- Develop, manage, and supervise Empire Justice Center's systemic and impact litigation on behalf of the LGBTQ communities;
- Provide individual representation to LGBTQ clients in need of legal assistance maintaining an on-going caseload and keeping case management data up-to-date;
- Develop and expand co-counseling and collaborations with partner organization and private firms;
- Develop strategies for advocacy using a variety of systems change tools and community partnerships;
- Work with internal Empire Justice Practice Groups as a technical expert on LGBTQ substantive rights and advocacy techniques to ensure the intersection of clients' needs are identified and referred internally for needed representation by each Practice Group, with the Practice Group's substantive knowledge equally shared to support the LGBTQ Rights Attorney in their work;
- Work with internal Practice Groups to identify and address legal issues impacting the LGBTQ communities; and provide legal education opportunities for the legal services community and policy advocates on issues impacting, and solutions beneficial to, the LGBTQ communities through CLE presentations, clinics, and panel discussions.
Required Experience, Skills and Qualifications
Provide legal education opportunities for the legal services community and policy advocates on issues impacting, and solutions beneficial to, the LGBTQ communities through CLE presentations, clinics, and panel discussions.
- Substantive law knowledge in priority areas of employment and/or health law;
- Effective interpersonal skills and the ability to cultivate partnerships and to work with a diverse workforce;
- Strong writing skills in legal drafting of briefs, pleadings, and motions;Strong verbal and written communication skills, experience conducting depositions and trial work strongly preferred;
- Supervisory skills and experience in managing projects; and effective decision making skills and the ability to shift priorities while working in a fast paced environment with multiple competing objectives
- Litigation experience in areas impacting the rights of the LGBTQ communities;
- Demonstrated commitment to enforcing and expanding the rights of low income
- A desire to pursue systemic change through litigation and policy advocacy;
- Clear commitment to principles of diversity and inclusion;
- 7-10 years relevant litigation or legal services experience;
- Be admitted to practice law in New York or eligible for admission to the New York Bar at the time of hiring (must be admitted within one year of hire);
- Ability and willingness to travel on a regular basis to provide training and/or to participate in policy advocacy.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and based on the organization's salary scale. Empire Justice offers a generous benefits package, including health insurance, pension and life insurance, vacation, holiday, personal and sick time. Empire Justice supports and encourages a work/life balance.
Empire Justice is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse work force. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, persons who are elderly, gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender, and those at the intersection of multiple identities, are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
Position available immediately. Applications accepted until filled. To apply, e-mail a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three professional references to the address below. No phone calls or hard copies please. Incomplete applications will not be considered.