Empire Justice Center attracts and employs dedicated, determined, and passionate advocates who, together, make a significant impact on the lives of low-income New Yorkers. We achieve our successes through direct legal representation and high-impact litigation, legislative and administrative advocacy, and by providing training and technical assistance to other advocates who are working towards the same goals.
With offices in Rochester, Albany, Westchester, and Long Island, our organization offers staff an exciting and dynamic working environment and a strong commitment to teamwork, diversity, and personal/professional development.
The Health Law Attorney will:
- Supervise the health team and health law work at Empire Justice Center;
- Provide statewide support, technical assistance and training to community-based and legal services organizations in NYS;
- Assist individual clients in navigating health coverage and public health programs by advising them about the programs, informing them of their rights, advocating for coverage and services; and assisting them in appeals and hearings;
- Develop and plan systems change litigation;
- Stay abreast of developments in health law; analyze cases and case trends and help develop policy strategies to address systemic issues in health;
- Develop and present training on health coverage and health care access;
- Participate in systemic administrative and legislative advocacy to improve health care access;
- Have or develop a profound understanding of New York State health coverage policy and be prepared to engage in administrative advocacy to improve access to care.
- Substantive law knowledge in priority area of health law;
- Effective interpersonal skills amid the ability to cultivate partnerships and work within a diverse workforce;
- Strong writing skills in legal drafting of briefs, pleadings, and motions;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, experience conducting depositions and trial work strongly preferred;
- Supervisory skills and experience in managing projects;
- Effective decision making skills
- Ability to shift priorities in a fast paced environment while managing multiple competing objectives
- Background in health law, especially public programs;
- Demonstrated commitment to enforcing and expanding the rights of low income persons;
- A desire to pursue systemic change through litigation and policy advocacy;
- Clear commitment to principles of diversity and inclusion;
- 7-10 years relevant litigation or legal services experience;
- Be admitted to practice law in New York or eligible for admission to the New York Bar at the time of hiring (must be admitted within one year of hire);
- Ability and willingness to travel on a regular basis to provide training and/or to participate in policy
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and based on the organization's salary scale. Empire Justice offers a generous benefits package, including health insurance, pension and life insurance, vacation, holiday, personal and sick time. Empire Justice supports and encourages a work/life balance.
Empire Justice is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse work force. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, persons who are elderly, gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender, and those at the intersection of multiple identities, are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
Position available immediately. Applications accepted until position is filled. To apply, e-mail a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three professional references to the address below. No phone calls or hard copies please. Incomplete applications will not be considered.