HEALTH POLICY ATTORNEY/MANAGER
Empire Justice Center, a highly respected, statewide
nonprofit law firm, is seeking a Health Law and Policy Manager to join our
team. This is an opportunity to join one of the most effective organizations
serving low-income individuals and families in New York State.
Empire Justice Center attracts and employs dedicated,
determined and passionate advocates who, together, make a significant impact on
the lives of low-income New Yorkers. We achieve our successes through direct
legal representation and high impact litigation, legislative and administrative
advocacy, and by providing training and technical assistance to other advocates
who are working towards the same goals.
Our organization offers staff an exciting and dynamic
working environment and a strong commitment to teamwork, diversity, and
Empire Justice Center's Albany office seeks a full-time
advocate to help lead and shape our health law and policy work at the state
level. The position will build on the strong reputation of Empire Justice
Center in effectively advocating to defend, maintain and improve access to
health insurance and high quality health services for low income and
marginalized New Yorkers. The position will focus primarily on policy advocacy
regarding public health insurance programs, including Medicaid, Medicare and
the Essential Plan. In addition, the advocate will be expected to provide
superior legal analysis, technical assistance and training to attorneys and
advocates across the state. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of state
and federal health laws, experience as a health advocate, experience with state
legislative and administrative policy, and the ability to think proactively and
strategically in response to a rapidly shifting healthcare landscape.
Among other duties, the Health Policy Attorney/Manager will:
- Work closely with Empire Justice Center's Health and Policy Teams to develop and implement a powerful blend of policy advocacy, impact litigation, training, technical assistance, and direct services to advance the needs of our clients.
- Conduct legislative and administrative advocacy, including drafting, reviewing, editing, and commenting on legislation, regulations and sub regulatory documents; and representing Empire Justice Center in multiple coalitions and in meetings with elected officials.
- Assist Health Team in meeting grant deliverables by advocating directly on behalf of clients, providing technical assistance, and providing training and outreach.
- Analyze and report on legal and policy developments in public health insurance and other issues within Empire Justice Center's health priorities.
- Develop and implement policy and legal strategies to defend, maintain and improve access to high quality health services and health insurance.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong familiarity with New York State health law and health policy
- Experience in outreach, training, community education and coalition building
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong organizational skills and adept at managing multiple priorities
- JD preferred, with 5-11 years of experience in health law and policy, additional years experience helpful for non JD candidates.
- Fluency in Spanish strongly desired
- Ability to travel between Rochester, Albany, and New York City frequently
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience and based on the
organization's salary scale.
Empire Justice Center offers a generous benefits package,
including health insurance, pension and life insurance, vacation, holiday,
personal and sick time.We are an organization that supports and encourages a
Empire Justice Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action employer and desires a diverse work force. People of color, women,
persons with disabilities, persons who are elderly, gay, lesbian, bisexual and
transgender are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
This position is available immediately. Applications
accepted until position filled. To apply, e-mail a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three
professional references to address below. No phone calls or hard copies please. Incomplete
packets will not be accepted.