Legal Services of the Hudson Valley (LSHV) has an immediate opening in our White Plains office for a temporary, (9 months), full time staff attorney to work on housing matters. The attorney will also serve low-income individuals and families with matters including eviction, unlawful lock-outs, habitability issues and succession rights challenges. As many of our clients have protected housing or have specialized housing vouchers, the work will include section 8 and other hearings on voucher changes or terminations. Duties of the Position: individual case work, administrative advocacy and litigation in city courts and justice courts, including appellate practice, and education and outreach efforts directed at community members, advocates and service providers. The person hired will also be expected to adhere to program and case handling standards, funder requirements, the highest professional standards, and be available as a resource to LSHV staff and access to justice communities. Some evening work which includes appearances at night court housing matters may occur in specific justice courts.
- Member in good standing of the New York State Bar; admission to Federal court, a plus;
- Understanding of the nature and dynamics of housing and benefits;
- Excellent people skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of stakeholders;
- Driver License and access to vehicle
- Two or more years of legal experience, including litigation, preferably with background in housing however pending admission will also be considered;
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income persons with prior experience in legal services or similar program;
- English/Spanish bilingual;
Salary: DOE, union scale, with excellent benefits.
Please apply at our career center and include cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references: