The OVS Legal Project is a collaborative project between the Legal Aid Society of Rochester, NY (LASROC) and Willow Domestic Violence Center (Willow). This attorney will be an employee of LASROC and will provide legal assistance, advice and counsel to victims of domestic violence in family law matters. This attorney will be located at Willow. The target population for this project will consist of victims seeking assistance from Willow, as well as other victims as assigned by LASROC. The attorney will provide brief legal assistance and screening for family law and other civil legal issues. The goal of the project is to increase access to legal counsel for survivors of domestic violence in an effort to remove any impediments to their safety, paving the way to a safe and empowered life.
- Provide legal counsel, training and representation in Family Law proceedings.
Representation includes, but is not limited to:
- Draft and review all pleadings, motions, and papers;Interview clients;
- Conduct disclosure and investigation; file motions;
- Consult and negotiate with other counsel and, as appropriate, other parties;
- Represent clients at all appearances, hearings, and proceedings; andFile notices of appeal, settle orders and records and represent clients in other post-dispositional proceedings before the court.
- Provide legal information and other brief service to domestic violence victims, and provide appropriate referrals.
- Provide screening and assessment for all civil legal issues that impact on a victim?s essentials of life and impede their safety, providing representation in areas of law other than family law, or referring the victim to other programs within LASROC.
- Attend and participate in LASROC?s Family Law Unit staff meetings and any general LASROC meetings/gatherings.
- Attend and participate in Willow staff meetings/gatherings.
- Provide community outreach education.
- Provide information on crime victims' compensation and assist with preparation of applications for litigants.
- Provide education law assistance with enrollment, transportation, and suspension hearings.
- Consult with and review work of assigned support staff.
- Transcribe accurate and detailed contacts in all case file through the LASROC case management system, LegalServer.
- Conduct legal research in each case as required.
- Maintain knowledge of legislative changes and current case law.
- Attend Continuing Legal Education trainings.
- Provide legal support to other programs from time to time as may be necessary.
Juris Doctor & admission to New York State Bar.High level of initiative, self-motivation, and organization.Excellent legal research and writing skills.Strong negotiating ability.Ability to articulate thoughts and ideas efficiently and accurately.Respectful and empathetic consideration for clients.Ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues and community partners.Access to reliable transportation.