Legal Services of the Hudson Valley (LSHV) has an immediate opening in our Peekskill, New York, office for full time General Practice Staff Attorneys to work with crime victims on Landlord and Tenant, Public Benefits, Consumer, Disability and other civil matters. The attorney will serve individuals and families who are crime victims living in Westchester and Putnam Counties, who qualify, with legal matters that involve eviction prevention, terminations of government benefits, consumer debt and disability.
Duties of the Position: Individual client representation, litigation in state and federal courts as well as administrative hearings and appellate practice. The person hired will be expected to handle a high-volume case load in an often fast passed and demanding environment. Participation in community legal education and outreach activities directed at community members, advocates and service providers. Additionally, the person hired will also be expected to adhere to program and case handling standards, funder requirements, the highest professional standards, and be available as a resource to LSHV staff and access to justice communities.
- Member in good standing of the New York State Bar;
- One or more years of legal experience, including litigation and handling high volume caseload;
- Excellent people skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to handle high stress situations;
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of stakeholders; and
- Valid driver's license and own transportation
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income persons with prior experience in legal services or similar program;
- English/Spanish bi-lingual
Please apply through this link and include cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references.