The Legal Aid Society's Civil Practice has experienced and entry-level Staff Attorney positions available in the Housing Unit. The Housing Unit handles a broad range of individual and group tenant representation at the trial and appellate levels, including holdovers, nonpayment proceedings, administrative hearings, and affirmative litigation in State and Federal courts. The Staff Attorney will also work with tenant associations, tenant organizers, community-based organizations, partner legal services agencies, and pro bono attorneys.
PRIMARY AND SECONDARY DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES
* Client representation and advocacy with City, State, and Federal agencies and in court proceedings, administrative hearings, and affirmative litigation
* Conduct regular courthouse-based and off-site intake, including during evening hours
* Provide training, community outreach, and education to individuals, local community-based organizations, and housing advocates
* Policy advocacy including advocacy before legislative, administrative, and judicial bodies to advance the interests of clients
* Represent and promote the work of the office, the Civil Practice, and The Legal Aid Society in the community
* Work collaboratively with other organizations, pro bono lawyers, and partners
* Maintain a full caseload of clients
* Some weekend and night advocacy may be necessary
* Other duties as assigned
TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS
* Admission to NYS bar or eligible for immediate waiver
* If you are a 3L, you must indicate in your cover letter whether and when you are scheduled to sit for the Bar examination, or, if you have already taken the Bar examination, when you did so and whether you passed or failed
* Excellent written, analytical, organizational and oral advocacy skills
* Demonstrated commitment and interest in serving racially and socioeconomically oppressed communities
* Demonstrated commitment to and experience in public interest law and civil legal services
* Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively, and manage a high volume of cases
* Proficiency in languages other than English is desirable, but not required
HOW TO APPLY
You must apply online at the LAS Recruitment Portal. The Legal Aid Society is reducing its carbon footprint and therefore paper applications are not accepted. Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not a PDF, your application will not be processed. Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis so applicants are encouraged to apply early.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ communities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email email@example.com.