The Erie County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project (VLP) seeks a full time paralegal to work for our law office in Buffalo, NY which provides free civil legal services to low income people. The position will involve working both in the office and at a variety of outreach sites.
- client screening/intake
- data entry - opening/closing files
- maintaining files
- some coordination of volunteer attorneys
- general office support work - mail, phones, etc.
- coordinate remote outreach location(s) - work with/assist volunteer attorneys on site, and handle logistics
- Collaborate with partner organizations
- client assistance - conduct client intake
- some regional travel may be required
This is a dynamic position which may evolve. The paralegal will be based in VLP's office in Buffalo and most of the work will be in and around the Buffalo area.
Requirements/Skills - Required:
- experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- ability to collect and manage data
- ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively, with VLP staff and a variety of other partners, including volunteer attorneys, student interns and court staff
- excellent verbal and written skills
- ability to multitask
- must be comfortable serving low-income clients from diverse backgrounds
Requirements/Skills - Preferred (not required):
- Paralegal degree or certificate
- experience with Microsoft Access
- fluency in Spanish
TO APPLY: Please send a resume with a cover letter clearly explaining your interest and qualifications. Include contact information for 3 references and send your materials to: Gretchen Gonzalez, Deputy Director, ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be accepting applications until the position is filled.
VLP is an equal opportunity employer. Salary depends upon experience. Excellent benefits including fully paid health insurance, a cafeteria plan for dependent care and transportation costs, long term disability insurance, life insurance, 403b plan, Simple Employee Pension Plan, and generous leave time. The work atmosphere is congenial, respectful and flexible.