|The Erie County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project (VLP) is seeking an attorney to join its Pro Bono Team, which coordinates and facilitates pro bono work by local attorneys and law firms. This includes several limited scope outreach programs, full representation cases, developing and presenting recruitment trainings, and coordinating special projects. The pro bono culture is strong within our local bar. The attorney hired will serve as part of VLP?s pro bono team to maintain and strengthen that pro bono culture.
- coordinate and supervise VLP?s Family Court Help Desk in Niagara County (at the Family Court in Niagara Falls)
- help create and coordinate/supervise an additional help desk that will be a phone-in model
- build relationships with, recruit, train and support pro bono attorneys
- some case handling
- train/supervise student interns and community volunteers to conduct client intake and screening
- some regional travel will be required
- variety of other duties and projects
This is a dynamic position which may evolve based upon client needs and the attorney?s skills/interest. The Staff Attorney will be based in VLP?s office in Buffalo and most of the work will be in and around the Buffalo area.
Requirements/Skills - Required:
- admitted to practice law in NY
- must be comfortable and engaging public speaker
- ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively, with VLP staff and a variety of other partners, including volunteer attorneys, student interns and court staff
- ability to multitask
- must be comfortable serving low-income clients from diverse backgrounds
- experience or demonstrated interest in family law preferred
- fluency in a foreign language
- demonstrated commitment to working in the public interest
TO APPLY: Please send a resume with a cover letter clearly explaining your interest and qualifications. Include contact information for 3 references and send your materials to: Gretchen Gonzalez, Deputy Director, ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc. at email@example.com. Deadline is October 1, 2018.
VLP is an equal opportunity employer. Salary depends upon experience. Excellent benefits including fully paid health insurance, a cafeteria plan for dependent care and transportation costs, long term disability insurance, life insurance, 403b plan, Simple Employee Pension Plan, and generous leave time. The work atmosphere is congenial, respectful and flexible.
For information on VLP, see www.ecbavlp.com