The Legal Aid Society's Civil Practice is seeking a Supervising Attorney to join the citywide Immigration Law Unit to assist in coordinating and supervising the Unit's Immigrant Opportunity Initiatives (IOI) Program, which handles both affirmative and defensive immigration matters. The Supervising Attorney will be involved in day-to-day operations and will work closely with the Attorney- in-Charge, the Deputy Attorney-in-Charge, and other Supervising Attorneys to train, supervise, and mentor staff. The Supervising Attorney will participate in Practice-wide management discussions and decision making.
The Unit is a recognized leader in the delivery of high quality legal services to immigrants in New York City and surrounding counties. The IOI program provides low-income New Yorkers with free comprehensive immigration services ranging from removal defense to asylum to affirmative applications before U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA), and in family court proceedings on Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS) motions. The Unit specializes in the intersection between immigration and criminal law and works collaboratively with all practice areas to serve the Society's diverse immigrant clients through a comprehensive service model.
* Assist in the direct supervision and mentoring of staff attorneys, paralegals, and volunteers that work with predominantly non-detained immigrants in removal proceedings, including but not limited to immigrants with criminal convictions, asylum seekers, adults with children, and unaccompanied minors, as well as with affirmative immigration benefits applications before USCIS
* Assist in monitoring and maintaining a high standard of representation and client service
* Maintain a reasonable caseload
* Analyze legal issues, develop legal strategy, and supervise implementation of legal strategies
* Foster and encourage teamwork and communication
* Train and mentor staff members
* Provide oversight to a weekly detention hotline staffed by volunteer attorneys
* Assist with the development, funding, implementation, and reporting of programs
* Respond to client, community and staff concerns
* Other duties as assigned
Manhattan - Legal Aid Society Headquarters
* Admission to NYS Bar
* Minimum of five years of immigration legal practice preferred
* Comprehensive knowledge of immigration law (including but not limited to criminal-immigration law and asylum law)
* Extensive experience litigating cases in immigration court and before the BIA
* Demonstrated commitment to and experience in public interest law and civil legal services
* Experience supervising and mentoring others
* Excellent writing and analytical skills
* Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
* Demonstrated commitment to policy advocacy and administrative reform
* Demonstrated leadership ability
* Ability to work in a collaborative team model
* Proficiency in languages other than English is desirable, but not required
Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not a PDF, your application will not be processed. Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
OUR COMMITTMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSIONS
The leadership of The Legal Aid Socity is committed to a work culture of zealous advocacy, respect, diversity and inclusion, client-oriented defense, access to justice and excellent representation. We are dedicated to building a strong professional relationship with each of our clients, to understanding their diverse circumstances, and to meeting their needs. Our ability to achieve these goals depends on the efforts of all of us.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ communities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.