|The New York State Defenders Association (NYSDA) is seeking a Staff Attorney for its Public Defense Backup Center. NYSDA, a not-for-profit, membership organization, has been providing support to New York's public defense community since 1967. NYSDA's mission is to improve the quality and scope of publicly supported legal representation to low income people.
The staff attorney will provide consultation and legal research support to lawyers statewide who are representing individuals who are entitled to representation in criminal and family court proceedings under County Law article 18-b. The staff attorney will also work on Backup Center publications, prepare legal updates and practice guides, assist with planning training programs, analyze legislation and regulatory materials, and provide technical assistance to public defense providers around the state.
- Admitted to practice in New York
- At least five years' experience in criminal defense and/or adult family court representation (10+ years' experience preferred)
- Demonstrated commitment to public defense and NYSDA's mission
- Extensive knowledge of NYS Penal Law and Criminal Procedure Law
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong research skills
- Technology and social media proficiency
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong time management and organizational skills and ability to manage varied workload and meet deadlines
The position involves some weekend and evening hours and travel to training events across the state. Salary: DOE. NYSDA offers a generous benefit package.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Susan C. Bryant, Acting Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: Backup Center Staff Attorney). NYSDA is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages candidates of all identities, orientations, experiences, and communities to apply. For more information about NYSDA, visit our website.