Volunteers of Legal Service (VOLS) is seeking a part-time Database Specialist.
VOLS' mission is to leverage the good will, resources, and talents of New York City's leading law firms to provide pro bono legal assistance to low-income New Yorkers. Each year, nearly 1,000 volunteer attorneys provide legal assistance to more than 3,000 low-income New Yorkers through VOLS' projects.
The Database Specialist is the site administrator for VOLS' case management system, Legal Server, and a critical data management resource for staff. Responsibilities for this position include collaborating with staff at all levels on reporting needs and exploring ways to maximize functionality of our case management database. This role requires the ability to manage multiple projects and work harmoniously with people of differing technical proficiencies. Our team is small but growing and we are seeking someone who will continue to take the lead on data management.
This is currently a part-time position, working on-site at VOLS' office. This is not a temporary position; the ideal candidate will have a long-term commitment to growing this role. We require a commitment of 20-25 hours per week during the VOLS' hours of operation (Mon.-Fri. 9:30 AM-5:30 PM). There is some flexibility in the exact days & time to fulfill those hours; a consistent weekly schedule is required. Compensation for this position is currently $20-25 per hour, based on experience.
- Maintain knowledge on Legal Server case management system to maximize usage of database
- Manage database updates including system fields, custom fields, and picklists
- Build, implement and edit processes and forms as program and funding landscape evolve
- Create and maintain reports in accordance with development and program management needs
- Provide ongoing training and technical support to staff
- Work with external consultant to resolve escalated technical issues
- Provide data entry support to the Children's Project (semi-annual data collection) & the Incarcerated Mothers' Law Project (monthly data collection)
- Conduct routine data audits and recommend measures to continually improve quality and accuracy of data
- Collaborate with staff on establishing and documenting protocols and best practices
- Lead special projects including implementing a grants management module
- Mastery of Legal Server site administration or similar case/client management required
- Database administration/management with a donor database will be considered
- High School Diploma/General Equivalency Diploma required; Bachelor's degree or equivalent preferred
- Work experience (paid or unpaid) in an office environment required
- Excellent computer skills, including expertise in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to collect, analyze and synthesize data, and present it clearly
- Ability to translate technical jargon- verbally, in writing, and through presentation - into colloquial language
- Creative problem-solver able to anticipate and solve problems independently, and follow through on projects to completion
- Excellent project management and organizational skills with attention to detail
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Curiosity and enthusiasm to learn
How to apply:
After reviewing www.volsprobono.org, please email your cover letter and resume (a pdf and word version of both documents) to: Laura Waszak, Office Manager, at email@example.com with the subject line "Part-Time Database Specialist".
Your cover letter must include: an approximate start date, how you learned of this position, and a brief description of the database management/site administration experience that would make you a good fit for this position.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone or email inquiries, please. VOLS is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, nationality, creed, age, disability, sexual orientation, biological sex, gender identity/expression, family status, or any other basis prohibited by law. We strive to build and maintain a diverse staff, and we encourage candidates of all backgrounds/identities to apply for this position.