Executive Director will have the opportunity to guide the organization's
strategic development in the context of significant recent growth. Since 2014,
WJCNY's budget has more than doubled, with a proportionate growth in personnel.
In partnership with WJCNY's Board and management team, the Executive Director
is responsible for maintaining alignment with the organization's mission,
ensuring long-term financial sustainability, leading fundraising efforts, and
overseeing all organizational and programmatic operations.
Justice Center of New York has two office locations, in Rochester and in
Kingston, NY. The Executive Director may be based in either office; however,
the position requires frequent travel within New York State to maintain an
active presence in both locations and to cultivate statewide partnerships.
Organizational Leadership &
External Community Building
● Direct the overall vision of the
organization and provide strategic leadership for financial sustainability.
● In partnership with staff and Board,
lead strategic planning in alignment with WJCNY's mission.
● Maintain an active and visible
presence in the community by working closely with other professional, civic,
and private organizations.
● Supervise WJCNY's management
team, working closely with them to
ensure effective programming and organizational operations. Communicate
effectively with WJCNY's Board of Directors and support the Board in
successfully fulfilling its roles and meeting its goals, especially fundraising
and promoting overall organizational
● Recruit new Board members in
compliance with WJCNY's bylaws.
● Oversee WJCNY's external marketing
and communications with the organization's constituents, the media, and the
general public, in conjunction with the Director of Advocacy and
● Elevate the voices of WJCNY staff and
cultivate their ability to assume positions of external leadership.
● Maintain a positive and collaborative
working environment for all staff and take proactive measures to support morale.
● In conjunction with the senior
management team, establish employment and administrative policies and
procedures for all functions and for daily
● Perform other duties as assigned by
the Board of Directors.
Fundraising and Financial Sustainability
● Develop resources sufficient to
ensure the financial health of the organization. Lead the organization's
fundraising efforts, with a focus on diverse funding streams including private
foundation support, government grants, and individual donors.
● Ensure the organization's fiscal
integrity, including submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and
monthly financial statements that accurately reflect the financial condition of
● Provide fiscal management that
generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum
resource utilization, and maintains the organization in a positive financial
● Plan and oversee annual budget administration in conjunction
with the Director of Operations and Finance. Review and approve contracts for
● Five or more years senior nonprofit
● Attorneys or others with legal
experience are welcome to apply but a JD is not required.
● Demonstrated commitment to social
justice for the communities we serve.
● A strong understanding of the core
issues relevant to WJCNY's mission.
● Transparent and high integrity
● Solid, hands-on, budget management
skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting.
● Strong organizational abilities
including planning, leading, organizing,
delegating, developing, systematizing, facilitating and controlling programs
● Strong public speaking, written and
oral communication skills.
● Ability to convey a vision of WJCNY's
strategic future to staff, Board, volunteers, and donors.
● Knowledge of fundraising strategies,
donor relations, and grants administration unique to nonprofit sector.
● Skills to collaborate with and
motivate Board members and other volunteers.
● Ability to interface with and engage
diverse volunteer and donor groups.
● Demonstrated ability to oversee and
collaborate with staff.
a generous comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental
insurance, paid sick and vacation time, and retirement savings contributions.
Competitive salary is commensurate with experience.
WJCNY is an
equal opportunity employer and especially encourages women, people of color,
persons with disabilities, and LGBTQI individuals to
apply. Please submit a cover letter and resume to Michael Bersani at email@example.com